PDA

View Full Version : CompUSA is back.

Sef
April 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM
A much downsized CompUSA (http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/04/compusa-back-fr.html) is back. It will be interesting to see if it can succeed this time.

elmer_42
April 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Circuit City also seems to plan to reopen CircuitCity.com. Perhaps it's all some recession-induced virus that turns dead companies into zombies?

forrestcupp
April 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Wow! I hope CompUSA makes it, and I hope they come back to where I live.

If they can offer the same prices in the store that they do on the Tiger Direct web site, I would definitely shop there when I don't want to wait for something to be shipped.

If they can actually make it through the recession and keep their bills paid, I think they'll blow their competition out of the water. Anyone who can offer online prices in a store is sure to get the sales.

toupeiro
April 10th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Ditto. We are so lacking good technology stores in my town. The closest Frye's means a drive into Los Angeles, which I loathe. I was not a fan of CompUSA because of their pricing, but it really sounds like they've reinvented themselves, and I am never one to turn away from a company trying to do this. I used to feel the same way about Sun Microsystems' hardware...

MikeTheC
April 10th, 2009, 04:36 PM
The CompUSA in my area is one of the 15 that were bought up by TigerDirect's parent company. We've already long since been benefitting from better pricing and better selection.

Good luck to you and yours...

MikeTheC
April 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Circuit City also seems to plan to reopen CircuitCity.com. Perhaps it's all some recession-induced virus that turns dead companies into zombies?

+1

I can see it all now... "Circuit City of the Dead"

Polygon
April 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
i hope it comes to where i live, the only techy place here is best buy

Peasantoid
April 10th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Meh, I'll get interested when they start offering Linux support.

yabbadabbadont
April 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM
i hope it comes to where i live, the only techy place here is best buy

Same here. Best Buy and Circuit City used to be across the street from each other, which made comparison shopping very easy, but not any more.

CharmyBee
April 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Perhaps it's all some recession-induced virus that turns dead companies into zombies?

In that case, it needs to infect Computer City.

pwnst*r
April 10th, 2009, 09:49 PM
the more competition the better.

Icehuck
April 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I've always considered their selection limited and barely offering more then Best Buy. I only shopped there in the late 90's a few times and never found anything I needed. Newegg, Tigerdirect, Fry's and others are so much better.

Dr Small
April 10th, 2009, 10:48 PM
That's a good thing, I guess.