PDA

View Full Version : Does this computer sound alright?

joshdudeha
April 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Right, I'm on a REAL Tight budget.
And I've just been looking round this morning.

This is my first computer I've built, (if I get round to doing it)

Look at what I've picked so far.
Do you think it's alright for a value computer?
Oh and Ubuntu is going on it ;)

Tsnuami Box Black ATX Case : £18.61
775 Socket Motherboard 1066MHZ FSB : £30.90
500W PSU : £37.89
Intel Celeron Dual Core 2 GHz 512KB L2 Cache : £39.91
2 x Kingston 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz : £41.72
Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA HDD : £34.30
Sapphire HD 256MB PCI-E Card : £28.98
LG LightScribe optical drive : £17.39

**TOTAL** : £249.70

and also, am i missing anything? just im a bit tired ;)

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 09:31 AM
The RAM could be cheaper and there's no need for a graphics card if you get a micro-atx motherboard with on-board graphics.

Edit: And you can get a better deal buying one ready built:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159380
http://tinyurl.com/ct4r2f
http://tinyurl.com/cxh5rs

billgoldberg
April 10th, 2009, 09:33 AM
The ram is the most expensive part?

Doesn't sound right.

tom66
April 10th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Do you really need a 500W PSU? Rarely is any more than 300W required.

And if you're OK on spending a few more pounds, consider upgrading from Celeron dual-core to Core 2 Duo (if the motherboard supports it - I don't know.) It's faster than Celeron dual-core because of larger on-die cache.

joshdudeha
April 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM
The RAM is £20.86 for 2GB But I decided I wanted 4GB.
@gn2, I will have a look at those, thank you.
.. edit: wow that ebuyer one is really good for the price
I think I might look into that, thank you (:

I don't think I do actually, I will look for a cheaper PSU.
Thank you for your suggestions so far

aschwerin.moses
April 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
i would suggest this.. im not sure about the price in pounds.. but i would suggest the following motherboard and processor..

Motherboard: GA-EP45-DS3L
Processor: Q6600

glotz
April 10th, 2009, 09:57 AM
So, what are you gonna be doing with this puter? Since you're on a tight budget, you might want to consider previously owned boxen too, some of those deals are very good, some very bad however.

joshdudeha
April 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I just want a decent computer, I have a mac and I want to run linux, but I don't like the PPC Linux.
My computer downstairs isn't mine really, so I can't use that.

And a new computer would be nice :) x

joshdudeha
April 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I'm off for abit.
I'll come back later, I gotta pop out ^_^
Thank you for your suggestions :)

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I will look for a cheaper PSU.

Not a good place to make economies.

The PSU is the most important component in any PC build, best to get a good one, Seasonic and Corsair are probably the best.

glotz
April 10th, 2009, 10:26 AM
[the psu is] not a good place to make economies.+1

Pasdar
April 10th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Why not AMD processor? I have an AMD laptop, its a beast. Runs all games at max settings/resolution together with ATI 3470 videocard and 4GB mem.

First thing you need to tell us is what you want to use it for?

However, you don't need a 500W PSU, also get 'non branded' memory.

tom66
April 10th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Most PSUs will do the job fine. Just make sure it can handle 1.5x what you're having as a basic install, so you can upgrade later.

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Why not AMD processor?

One reason: the cheapest dual-core AMD CPU is more expensive than the Celeron in the UK. (but not by much)

Pasdar
April 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
One reason: the cheapest dual-core AMD CPU is more expensive than the Celeron in the UK. (but not by much)

That's not true. He wants to get the following:

Well I can get an AMD that owns his Intel CPU double time for less the price:
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4400+ 2.3GHz (2 x 512KB) 1MB L2 Cache : £35.30

Or let's go even faster:
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 5200+ 2,7GHz (2 x 512KB) 1MB L2 Cache : £45.50

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Links?

mips
April 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA HDD : £34.30

I would never buy a Celeron CPU, made that mistake once and it was enough.

Is that a Seagte Baracuda 7200.11 Just make sure you check the drives firmware before you load anything on to it and flash it if it is running the faulty firmware otherwise it will die.

Pasdar
April 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Links?
You probably can't read Dutch, but here you go anyway: (check out the price and the specs)

Prices are in Euros and they have 1MB L2 Btw.
First CPU:
http://www.zercom.eu/index.php?p=35&c=2083&f=1&h=1&s=1&a=116769

Second CPU:
http://www.misco.nl/productinformation/~826766~/product.htm?affiliate=150

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM
You probably can't read Dutch

Last time I looked the Netherlands wasn't in the UK. :)

Pasdar
April 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
True, but we live in 'the Internet' age, so you shouldn't be limiting yourself to your country borders.

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
True, but we live in 'the Internet' age, so you shouldn't be limiting yourself to your country borders.

I have sourced computer equipment from the Netherlands and Germany in the past, but problems arise when a warranty claim has to be made, which is why it's far better to buy more locally.

Paqman
April 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Right, I'm on a REAL Tight budget.

You should be looking at second hand parts then. I wouldn't go second hand for a hard drive or PSU, but you should be able to pick up things like RAM pretty cheaply off eBay.

Also, why 4GB of RAM? It's pretty unlikely that you'd ever max out 2GB, so that's an obvious way to keep the cost down right there. If you did find that 2GB wasn't enough then you could always buy more. Running a lot of hungry VMs is about the only thing you'd normally need 4GB of RAM for.

Pasdar
April 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I have sourced computer equipment from the Netherlands and Germany in the past, but problems arise when a warranty claim has to be made, which is why it's far better to buy more locally.
Many of the hardware today only has 'factory warranty', which means the store won't have to deal with you and you have to arrange it with the company yourself. Usually this is much faster than going to the store itself. Even if you don't necessarily have factory warranty you can still call the company rep and they'll come get it or ask you to send it to them, etc.

For example, I have an ASUS laptop which I bought from an Internet store in the Netherlands. It has a two year warranty. I don't have to go to Taiwan to get it fixed. All I have to do is call the local ASUS dep and they will come pick it up. In my case they'll even give me a replacement laptop while they're working on mine.

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM
All I know is that it's easier to get items replaced under warranty if you purchase them here.
Not all manufacturers will replace goods bought elsewhere.

3rdalbum
April 10th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I'd suggest getting the AMD processor as it will run rings around the Celeron, finding a motherboard with integrated Intel or Nvidia graphics, and losing 2 gibibytes of RAM (dude, not even Vista users need 4GiB). Don't skimp on the power supply.

Also make sure you have some money budgeted for a monitor, keyboard and mouse - or a KVM (a unit that can switch your monitor keyboard and mouse from one computer to another). If you're buying a new keyboard, buy one that is comfortable rather than just buying the cheapest one!

omar8
April 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM
That processor is not going to be too good.

My suggestions are:
http://www.ebuyer.com/bundle/B4DDNTXG4
(About £20 more than your current set up)
or

http://www.ebuyer.com/bundle/4BEDQDNP4
(Again, about £20 more than your current set up)

I think that AMD is still better for the budget computer than an Intel (which dominate the mid to high end processors)

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Problem with the AMD CPUs in those bundles is the TDP, 125w or 95w is far from ideal.

joshdudeha
April 11th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hmmm.
I've been thinking... maybe an AMD processor would be the way to go.
I'm going to have a look around on the internet today, after I've woken up a bit - and see what their is.
I'll come back if I have anything cheaper.
Oh, and I already have a monitor, etc.
I don't know - I just think I'd like 4 GB, aha

Thanks so far for your suggestions :D

gn2
April 11th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Rather than just looking at what hardware you can get for what money, look at the tasks you need to perform then buy hardware to suit.
A cheap AMD single core CPU in a m-atx board with onboard video and 1gb RAM might just fit the bill and save you some cash.
Also, if you don't have a monitor keyboard and mouse already it can work out cheaper to just buy a laptop.

http://tinyurl.com/co5bod
http://tinyurl.com/ch4ot3

Edit: oops, didn't notice that you've got a monitor etc :redface:

Paqman
April 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I don't know - I just think I'd like 4 GB, aha

OK, but it really won't go any faster than one with 2GB. If I were you i'd spend the money I was going to spend on the extar RAM and get a faster CPU. You'd get a better machine for the same money.

joshdudeha
April 11th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Ok, right - I've just had a look.

And I've come up with these (atm).

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core Socket AM2
-1MB L2 Cache, 2.2GHz
£36.26

Asus M2N8-VMX Motherboard
-NVIDIA GeForce 6100
£33.80

1GB DDR2 533MHz RAM x 2
£18.14

So I'll have 2GB of RAM instead.
This sounds better as well, and the Athlon , being better than the Celeron, is cheaper than the Celeron by a lot; relatively.
I'll leave that graphics card, but might get a cheaper one later.
I think this set-up might be better
Still looking at the other products btw.