PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I set up an internet connection/network on Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 2.1?

azngujuonfire
April 10th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Hey, this is azngujuonfire.

I just registered and i am in need of huge help and need to be enlightened about the world of Linux OS.
I just downloaded and burned Linux Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 2.1, and i need major help on how to set up a network and internet connection in ubuntu ultimate edition. I have cable internet, a cable modem and a trendnet wireless router. I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit right now, connected to the internet. I want to INSTALL Ubuntu Ultimate Edition, but i have no clue how to set up an internet connection. My network card is a Realtek 8168/8111B Family card. If anyone could give me some good instructions and help on how to set up a network/internet connection, to a complete newbie at Linux OS, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

This is where i got the .iso of Ubuntu UE 2.1 from:
http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition-21/

Toady00
April 10th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I don't know much about your ultimante edition. I don't think it is a official version but it should work the same. I looked on the wireless wiki page and it doesn't look like your chipset is supported. So you'll probably have to use the ndiswrapper. I have never had to use it so I don't know much about it, but I think the basics are you use the windows version of the driver and ndiswrapper makes it work for ubuntu

Toady00
April 10th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Here is a link to the wiki on ndiswrapper https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

azngujuonfire
April 10th, 2009, 06:22 AM
oh ok thanks, but the ndiswrapper thing only talks about wireless cards, mine is just a networking card, w/ an ethernet port... same thing/concept?

Toady00
April 10th, 2009, 06:55 AM
oh ok thanks, but the ndiswrapper thing only talks about wireless cards, mine is just a networking card, w/ an ethernet port... same thing/concept?

Sorry bout that. When you said you had a trednet wireless router I started thinking wireless. I haven't heard of many wired connection issues so I'm not sure what to tell you if it doesn't work out the box.

azngujuonfire
April 10th, 2009, 07:09 AM
oh ok, so it SHOULD work after installation. Umm, how exactly do i install it? When i boot from the DVD, its sort of frozen, i cannot move my mouse or use keyboard, and my GPU (HD 4850) gets soooooooooooooooooo hot that i think it causes it to freeze. Any way i can install it to my external harddrive from windows?

Toady00
April 10th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Like I said, I don't know alot about this ultimate edition, but the official versions of ubuntu will run as a live cd. So you can burn the iso you downloaded and boot from cd and test to make sure everything works BEFORE you install it (or make a bootable usb and boot from it). You can make a bootable usb flash drive so I'm sure you could make a bootable usb hd but your computer will have to support booting from a usb and you'll have to make sure that your boot order has usb before your internal hd to boot into it. I know how to make a bootable usb for install with ubuntu but I'm not sure if there are any special steps needed to accually install ON usb, so you might want to search around for "installing ubuntu on usb drive"

stanca
June 12th, 2009, 02:25 PM
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/index.php ;)