PDA

View Full Version : More MSFT FUD about the "Apple Tax"

Mehall
April 10th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Just written up a blog, commenting on yet another of Brandon LeBlanc's blogs. I am slowly quickly my respect for him lately.

Mehall's Blog (blog.mehall.co.cc)

you can get to Brandons by reading mine (highly encouraged ;) or the following:

Brandons Blog Today (http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2009/04/09/avoid-the-apple-tax-cash-in-on-the-value-of-windows.aspx)

The worst thing about his blog are the blaring inaccuracies in it, and heavy bias.

wolfen69
April 10th, 2009, 03:37 AM
i didn't read anything, but any proprietary OS you pay for is a "tax". but i don't have a problem with people making money with open source. generally it comes in the form of support.

bashveank
April 10th, 2009, 03:49 AM
i didn't read anything, but any proprietary OS you pay for is a "tax". but i don't have a problem with people making money with open source. generally it comes in the form of support.

You're generally paying for support in proprietary OSes as well....

Polygon
April 10th, 2009, 03:53 AM
i think the 'apple tax' refers to a chip that apple is planning (or is already integrating) into all apple products, namely the ipods/iphone...which means a third party company, such as the people who make ipod radios, etc, will have to pay apple a 'tax' in order to get access to the key that will let them interface with the chip, and therefore the ipod/iphone.

MikeTheC
April 10th, 2009, 04:01 AM
No, "Apple Tax" refers to having to pay for Apple-vended hardware to run their OS on.

I don't really pay much attention to what is said in the trade press, and I haven't in years. They're as worthless (if not moreso) as the mainstream media. Talk about an industry of truly-clueless alleged "experts".

And people wonder why I don't watch tv...

Polygon
April 10th, 2009, 04:51 AM
No, "Apple Tax" refers to having to pay for Apple-vended hardware to run their OS on.

I don't really pay much attention to what is said in the trade press, and I haven't in years. They're as worthless (if not moreso) as the mainstream media. Talk about an industry of truly-clueless alleged "experts".

And people wonder why I don't watch tv...

this is what i was referring to

http://www.macworld.com/article/139414/2009/03/appleheadphonechip.html

which could also be referred to as an apple tax, as the extra price the 3rd party manufactuers have to pay to get access to that chip is going to be reflected on the price of the item.

Dr. C
April 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.ndpta.com/files/AppleTax.pdf

This article sponsored by Microsoft actually makes a really good case for GNU / Linux while not mentioning GNU / Linux once. I like that part about propriety software that has to be "re bought" for the Mac.

MikeTheC
April 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Well, Apple's trek towards becoming a "media darling" was not necessarily an easy one, nor has it been overnight. In fact, it isn't really even 100% complete, either, given the fact that the news media never bothers to mention it when they're discussing security threats and the like.

I say this to suggest that Linux will not -- and should not expect to -- become a media darling overnight, either. As Linux-based NetBook sales increase, then there's a chance. However, it's not like it's "obvious" that any of the Linux-based consumer electronics products are, in fact, Linux-based.

Part of Linux's public mindshare issue revolves around the fact that, for obvious reasons, there is no "killer Linux product" from which can be formed an iPod-like "halo effect". Maybe Mark Shuttleworth should concentrate on solving that little bugaboo. Hmm...

lyceum
April 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
That thing is a joke, and it is wrong. Apples last longer, when the latest and "greatest" Windows comes out, you may as well buy a new PC. Apple, you know it will work with what you have (as long as it is not more than 10 or so years old). With MS you have to buy too many extra programs that Apple comes with standard. For the average user, both the default Ubuntu and Mac seem to come with EVERYTHING you need. MS PC is a TV/CD player, loaded with junkware and trial offers, that can surf the web. Macs may cost more, but they - like Ubuntu - cost much less in the long run.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10216096-56.html

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/04/11/microsoft_flames_macs/

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/04/10/behind-microsofts-apple-tax-gambit/

It should be noted that I bought my MacBook pro for the same price as my HP laptop. My HP does have 2 hard drives, but that gave it the same HD space and my MacBook. My MacBook had came with a gig less memory, which I upgraded for $50, but the MacBook has more than a full gigahertz faster processor. The HP was on sale $500 off, the MacBook Pro was on sale for $200 off. I spent a week fixing all the problems with Vista (most of the caused by HP and Yahoo additions) and getting rid of unwanted junk and trial ware. My 2nd hard drive was given to Kubuntu (for me) and Ubuntu (for work), so I had to upgrade my Vista hard drive to equal the MacBook's. In addition, 40 gigs are now lost to me so because the HP did not come with a recovery disk, like the MacBook Pro did. I spent $60 on VMware Fusion so I could run Ubuntu and Kubuntu on the MacBook Pro.

Which was cheaper? I will just say this - I will never buy a PC with Windows on it again. I will put Windows on a Mac or Ubuntu first, if I have to. I think the bottom line is where you shop (I got my MacBook at Amazon.com), and how well you know what you are doing and/or looking at.

lyceum
April 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Well, Apple's trek towards becoming a "media darling" was not necessarily an easy one, nor has it been overnight. In fact, it isn't really even 100% complete, either, given the fact that the news media never bothers to mention it when they're discussing security threats and the like.

That is a great point. I have never heard any one in the media say, "But, if you are using any operating system other than Windows, you will be fine."

MikeTheC
April 11th, 2009, 04:27 PM
That is a great point. I have never heard any one in the media say, "But, if you are using any operating system other than Windows, you will be fine."

What needs to happen is that feedback needs to be given to each of the local news media "outlets" after every tech-related broadcast, en masse, until they finally wear down and start reporting the news accurately. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a similar attitude and campaign against the major networks themselves, either. Sooner or later, they need to start reporting the facts. I know this would be a coup and considered by many to be a first, but hey... I'm an optimist. :)

Mehall
April 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
What needs to happen is that feedback needs to be given to each of the local news media "outlets" after every tech-related broadcast, en masse, until they finally wear down and start reporting the news accurately. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a similar attitude and campaign against the major networks themselves, either. Sooner or later, they need to start reporting the facts. I know this would be a coup and considered by many to be a first, but hey... I'm an optimist. :)

"the geek shall inherit the earth"...

lyceum
April 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM

I am on board with that. The big problem is that so many people think that Mac is Mac OS X and a PC is windows. They do not realize that the computer is not the OS. I think the news would have to somehow clarify that to avoid looking like part of the Apple sales team.

Sealbhach
April 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM
It's annoying that Microsoft think it's OK to take the credit for the skill and ingenuity of hardware manufacturers who actually make these machines (cheaply).

MikeTheC
April 12th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I am on board with that. The big problem is that so many people think that Mac is Mac OS X and a PC is windows. They do not realize that the computer is not the OS. I think the news would have to somehow clarify that to avoid looking like part of the Apple sales team.

And, of course, that pre-supposes technological expertise and comprehension which, odds are, is lacking in the newsroom at any of these organizations.

I'll go back to what I've said in the past: I don't watch TV, and amongst other things that means I don't watch the news. The incompetence and sheer stupidity of the news and journalism industry out there is just too painful for me to tolerate, particularly when I know better or can use logic and reason to see fallacies that either they missed or deliberately are trying to insert.

lyceum
April 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM
And, of course, that pre-supposes technological expertise and comprehension which, odds are, is lacking in the newsroom at any of these organizations.

I'll go back to what I've said in the past: I don't watch TV, and amongst other things that means I don't watch the news. The incompetence and sheer stupidity of the news and journalism industry out there is just too painful for me to tolerate, particularly when I know better or can use logic and reason to see fallacies that either they missed or deliberately are trying to insert.

A few years ago I was reading a report that showed the local news was so bad that the Daily Show had more real news and actual facts. This was before the Colbert Report. The news is nothing more than a TV show anymore, and not even reality TV at times.

Mehall
April 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM
+1

That is one of the reasons why I never use any traditional media outlet anymore. The closest I get to a "normal" media outlet is slashdot, which is really justa blog aggregator, which is what I like, as it avoids most of the bias. You get enough to find out about something, then are left to research it further if you want. That is what I like about online news sources.

koshatnik
April 12th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Fanboys arguing over stuff that doesnt matter is always hilarious.

Mehall
April 12th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Was that targeted at me?

because I can assure you I am no fanboy. For MSFT or Tux

lyceum
April 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Fanboys arguing over stuff that doesnt matter is always hilarious.

I think watching them argue over what does matter is funny too.

:popcorn: