PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Airlink card showing 3% signal, right next to router....

parkland
April 10th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Uhhh...yeah...

I have a freshly installed, updated 8.10 ubuntu install, which recognised my airlink wireless card, but the signal strength is only between 1% and 3%, even though it is literally 6 ft from the router.

I had this very card in a XP machine over 100ft from the router with 25% strength......

What is wrong???

It connects to the Internet fine, but if I copy files over my network the connection drops.....

I hav a feeling its something simple!!:lolflag:

parkland
April 10th, 2009, 01:42 PM
*bump? :(

wkulecz
April 10th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Can you check the AP with another computer since you've installed 8.10? "Had used" doesn't rule out recent failure.

My AirLink card and wireless Router quit working recently with symptoms you describe except I got 0% "connections", my XP notebook with a different card got a very weak connection much closer to the router. I concluded the AP had a transmitter problem and used the excuse to upgrade to a gigabit wireless dual band draft-N router. My 8.04 link (using the same AirLink USB wireless G interface) came up fine once I switched routers and setup the new security settings.

It was literally a "worked fine and hour ago issue" while my wife was trying to work on-line.

--wally.

parkland
April 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM
other computers are getting 85-100% signal other spots in the house.

davidgurvich
April 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Is there a firmware you need to install for the card and has it been installed? Can you connect to unencrypted network? Take a look and see if the antenna is loose, not likely as the card should connect with no antenna when you are that close.