PDA

View Full Version : Will Windows XP keep ruling the netbook?

sulekha
April 10th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Hi all,

see this:- http://www.betanews.com/article/Will-Windows-XP-keep-ruling-the-netbook/1239227127

wildman4god
April 10th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Not when netbook start using the arm processor starting later this year, windows can't be ported to it. (well it could but it would take a lot more work and time than Microsoft is willing to commit. Linux already runs on the arm processor and will be the only way to get a full desktop os on them. Microsoft may start pushing its windows mobile on the arm netbook, however it doesn't look like manufacturers are interested in windows mobile as they are already starting to make plans for android and Linux netbooks. People will have to learn something new now because windows xp/vista/7 will not be an option in the future. The only reason windows dominates in the USA is people expect windows on their netbook and when they see Linux they don't even try it, Americans are lazy as heck (I can say this as I am an American...though not a lazy one). Linux is doing pretty well in other parts of the world, especially Europe.

bashveank
April 10th, 2009, 03:51 AM
XP wont, 7 will.

Not when netbook start using the arm processor starting later this year, windows can't be ported to it. (well it could but it would take a lot more work and time than Microsoft is willing to commit. Linux already runs on the arm processor and will be the only way to get a full desktop os on them. Microsoft may start pushing its windows mobile on the arm netbook, however it doesn't look like manufacturers are interested in windows mobile as they are already starting to make plans for android and Linux netbooks. People will have to learn something new now because windows xp/vista/7 will not be an option in the future. The only reason windows dominates in the USA is people expect windows on their netbook and when they see Linux they don't even try it, Americans are lazy as heck (I can say this as I am an American...though not a lazy one). Linux is doing pretty well in other parts of the world, especially Europe.

You don't think Microsoft will just compile an ARM build when they realize that a major new market has opened up that their current builds wont make money from?

Polygon
April 10th, 2009, 03:54 AM
XP wont, 7 will.

You don't think Microsoft will just compile an ARM build when they realize that a major new market has opened up that their current builds wont make money from?

the problem isnt just compiling windows for arm (which im sure takes quite a bit of work, even if the NT kernel is meant to be cross platform), they still have to get all of their drivers working for ARM as well, including any third party ones, which will take some time.

inobe
April 10th, 2009, 03:56 AM
and people will take kickbacks and release bogus news as a to obtain a counter reaction in the market, common ms tactic used for years and it's working.

Onoskelis
April 10th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Windows 7 runs perfectly on my netbook.

Ubuntu on netbooks will still be a niche that won't go away though.

bashveank
April 10th, 2009, 04:00 AM
the problem isnt just compiling windows for arm (which im sure takes quite a bit of work, even if the NT kernel is meant to be cross platform), they still have to get all of their drivers working for ARM as well, including any third party ones, which will take some time.

Microsoft earns over $60 billion annually. I think they can handle a little driver building. Besides, very few manufacturers are going to release a new product without Windows drivers.

phantom3113
April 10th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Windows 7 is partly being designed for the exact purpose of replacing XP as the windows norm for netbooks, considering that the netbook market is the next big market for computers. However, Ubuntu (or Linux in general) has a pretty good hold on the netbook front so far, it's just that people are too attached to their bloody windows. :-/

saulgoode
April 10th, 2009, 06:01 AM
The problem is also not just the OS+drivers. OSVs will need to be convinced to deliver ARM versions of their applications, and consumers will need to be convinced to buy those versions. In many cases, the customers will have to buy twice the same program because they will not be able to run the i86-based version on the netbook.

Contrast this with the thousands of Free Software programs which will readily port to an ARM-based GNU/Linux with little modification, be available immediately, and for no cost.

doorknob60
April 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
The problem is nothing will run, defeating the purpose of having Windows at all (software compatibility). This is a minor issue on Linux though, since most programs will compile just fine, and the only problems might be things like Flash.

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM

I think it's more likely that they will use underhand tactics to attempt to stifle ARM netbook production.

Paqman
April 10th, 2009, 09:38 AM
The market has shown that customers want the same experience on their netbook that they are used to on desktops. For now that means XP, and once Win 7 lands that'll probably mean the netbook version of that.

Having said that, Linux seems to have about 10% of the netbook market, which is pretty good going considering our desktop share is only 1-2%. If the distros sort their act out and start shipping some decent netbook remixes, then we could still claw back some ground from XP. You never know.

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Interesting that Microsoft have announced that anyone can downgrade a 7 licence to Xp or Vista.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7991708.stm

Paqman
April 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Indeed. Can't see a lot of people choosing a downgrade to Vista, but it's nice that they offer the option.

bigbrovar
April 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I think no other Platform is best fitted for the netbook compared to linux, from the OEM Side is the best OS with lots of advantage over every other platform : Linux is lite weight and free as speech, with a kernel that and can be compiled and slimmed down to fit perfectly with the hardware of the netbook hence u get an OS base that fit perfectly with your hardware resulting in faster boot time among other positives . No other platform as evolved to meet the challenges of the netbook like linux.. because a netbook come with no cdroms, tools were created to allow you to install linux via usb. and an especial interface was developed to fit the small screen of netbook (ubuntu netbook remix which is one of the sleekest interface u can ever find on a computer), even a new Architecture was developed optimized for the atom processor LPIA (Low Powered Intel Architecture). add the fact that it cost $0 to enjoy any of these innovations plus the linux ecosystems with is full of free as in beer and speech applications ranging from office suits to video editors. plus the amount of light weight applications that are best suited for the netbook, Thunar in place of nautilus, midori in place of firefox,abiword in place of openoffice etc. yet Linux still lag behind windows .. what does this tell u.
People go for hype over quality.. the fact that a product is popular doesnt = good. we all know (insert the most popular fastfood place in our country here) don't make the best fastfood. the world is all about hype and what they see on TV. every linux user know that linux is better suited on a netbook. so when i see that 96% of netbook users run windows .. am thinking their loss

Paqman
April 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM
People go for hype over quality.

I don't think that's it. I think they just don't want to have to switch their OS just because they've bought a netbook. People buy netbooks to have a portable computer. That doesn't mean they're also willing to switch to Linux.

Remember, a lot of people find change really uncomfortable.

Besides, Windows XP is a perfectly good system for most people. All of the points you've raised about Linux being better suited are technically correct, but they're not really the kind of stuff most people care about. People just want something that's usable.

bigbrovar
April 10th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I don't think that's it. I think they just don't want to have to switch their OS just because they've bought a netbook. People buy netbooks to have a portable computer. That doesn't mean they're also willing to switch to Linux.

Remember, a lot of people find change really uncomfortable.

Besides, Windows XP is a perfectly good system for most people. All of the points you've raised about Linux being better suited are technically correct, but they're not really the kind of stuff most people care about. People just want something that's usable.

dude i have seen xp's performance on a netbook and its nowhere as usable as linux, on same hardware. add an antivirus and u have a legal malware sitting on precious system memory. netbooks are essentially low powered computers for basically internet and other light computing. the linux version of hp mini 1000 or the dell mini or the acer aspire is more usable compared to the xp version.

Paqman
April 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM
dude i have seen xp's performance on a netbook and its nowhere as usable as linux, on same hardware.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. Trouble is, the majority of users disagree with us.

The problem with the learning curve is that the bottom part of it hurts. That's why people avoid developing new skills. The first thing learning something new teaches you is how much you suck at it, it's only when your competence reaches a higher level that you start to feel comfortable. That's why you can't make people change their OS. They have to want to do it. Most people don't. They want the OS that they already know how to use, even if it's not the best one.

polkadotteapot
April 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
There are two things I particularly like in the article:

"Users simply expect the Windows experience. When they realize their Linux-based netbook PC doesn't deliver that same quality of experience, they get frustrated and take it back," contended Brandon LeBlanc, a "Windows Experience" blogger for Microsoft.

Haha ha, merely stating what his wage told him to.

And:

"Here's a telling stat: In the UK, Carphone Warehouse dropped Linux-based netbook PCs, citing customer confusion as a reason for a whopping 1-in-5 return rate."

Ignore the one in five, look at the Carphone Warehouse bit. A company well known for selling inappropriate contracts etc on the whims of their suppliers. All Microsoft would have had to do is offer an incentive to push the laptops and netbooks with their os on and linux ones would have been dropped like a shot.

Also I'm guessing that a lot of the people taking up the free computer offer are also those who wouldn't have been able to afford, or have a computer as their highest budgetary concern. So may not be as receptive to what appears to be a completely alien os.

Also if you ask on here and elsewhere, a lot of people (me included) bought a windows netbook, with the intention of trialling linux. I knew my way around windows enough to deal with the usual problems that arrive whereas linux being an unknown quantity I couldn't take that risk initially needing a working machine for my work, life etc. I like choice so I like being able to dual boot.

What would help would be if there was an easily found (as in g*ogled) accessible website explaining simply the distros available, jargon such as distros, benefits of moving to linux and plenty of links.

bigbrovar
April 10th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Hey, you're preaching to the choir. Trouble is, the majority of users disagree with us.

The problem with the learning curve is that the bottom part of it hurts. That's why people avoid developing new skills. The first thing learning something new teaches you is how much you suck at it, it's only when your competence reaches a higher level that you start to feel comfortable. That's why you can't make people change their OS. They have to want to do it. Most people don't. They want the OS that they already know how to use, even if it's not the best one.

well what about MACs which has a bigger learning curve from windows to mac compared to windows to linux .. again it think its about hype and what u see on TV.. people see macs on movies, music videos, advert.. all saying its easy to use and just works, still sticks and they start believing it. we dont have that kind of advantage with linux .. but u sure do have a point though.. imaging if it was apple that developed the NBR interface, or compiz fusion.. it would be tagged the biggest innovation in history .. its called MARKETING

3rdalbum
April 10th, 2009, 01:16 PM
That's why we need those ARM-based machines to take off, because that's a frontier that Microsoft can't really get its paws onto. If you remove the choice to run back to Windows, you are removing the safety crutch; and the user can stand on their own two feet on Linux.

Paqman
April 10th, 2009, 01:24 PM
That's why we need those ARM-based machines to take off, because that's a frontier that Microsoft can't really get its paws onto. If you remove the choice to run back to Windows, you are removing the safety crutch; and the user can stand on their own two feet on Linux.

You can't try to force people, because they just won't do it. It's a free market, and the market has shown that the majority of people don't actually want Linux netbooks.

They just won't buy the ARM models if the only OS option is Linux. 90% of people will buy whatever comes with XP.

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM
It all comes down to trust.

Many people trust that if they buy a Windows netbook that everything they need to work will work and they can use familiar applications.

Many people don't trust Linux, simply because they are not familiar with it.

wildman4god
April 10th, 2009, 04:34 PM
You can't try to force people, because they just won't do it. It's a free market, and the market has shown that the majority of people don't actually want Linux netbooks.

They just won't buy the ARM models if the only OS option is Linux. 90% of people will buy whatever comes with XP.

Well the arm processor gives user some nice advantages that might make them try Linux, for example arm processors will allow netbooks to have a lot long battery life and I believe they can also get more proformance then the atom processor. And the reason that windows can't be ported to arm is listed in the first post article link. Basically arm is nothing like x86 processors so it would require a complete rewrite of not only the entire windows os but also the applications.

jrusso2
April 10th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Well the arm processor gives user some nice advantages that might make them try Linux, for example arm processors will allow netbooks to have a lot long battery life and I believe they can also get more proformance then the atom processor. And the reason that windows can't be ported to arm is listed in the first post article link. Basically arm is nothing like x86 processors so it would require a complete rewrite of not only the entire windows os but also the applications.

Not sure about your logic here. Ten years ago their was arm based netbooks and they mostly ran Windows CE. Windows will do whatever is necessary. For Linux to win it has to change to be more friendly.

Paqman
April 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Well the arm processor gives user some nice advantages that might make them try Linux

Well, that'd be nice. But I wouldn't get too hopeful. Windows is really just much too entrenched for Linux to do much about. Even Apple with all their vast resources and slick marketing still finds it an uphill battle against them on the desktop.