PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever paid for Windows?

Pasdar
April 9th, 2009, 10:59 PM
There are so many people that actually go out and buy Windows with every crappy version they release. I have never in my life paid MS anything and have still used all of their software throughout my life.

When MS first released VISTA and I saw the price they were selling it at, I thought, "no way anyone is going to pay that much". So one day I was visiting a computer store and in front of my eyes I saw a whole stack of VISTA's being sold (the stack was disappearing in front of my eyes)... I was really flabbergasted, ROFL.

Though for Ubuntu I'd be willing to pay if it worked on my Laptop.

Skripka
April 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Actually, if you ever bought a prebuilt machinewith Windows on it-you have. You paid the manufacturer for your Windows license at the time of purchase. So odds are, unless you:
-Always used macs
-Always built your own machines

or

-Never bought a computer in your life yourself

Then you have paid Microsoft for a copy of Windows, albeit indirectly.

Eisenwinter
April 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I, personally, with my money, have never paid for Windows.

It is likely though, that my parents paid for the old Win98 copy we got preinstalled on our first post-8bit-era computer, at around august 1998.

(and no, that computer is no longer with us, everything was fried after about 3 or 4 years)

Mokoma
April 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM
no. after the **** i got with vista i torrented xp. before moving on to ubuntu

t.rei
April 9th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Unfortunately I have bought several laptops and/or desktop computers. Only one of them was a mac.

So yes, I was forced to pay for an OS I didn't want, due to some obscure rule or somthing about "not selling computers without an os"

SuperSonic4
April 9th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Nope, I used MSDN to get XP and Vista

Pasdar
April 9th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Actually, if you ever bought a prebuilt machinewith Windows on it-you have. You paid the manufacturer for your Windows license at the time of purchase. So odds are, unless you:
-Always used macs
-Always built your own machines

or

-Never bought a computer in your life yourself

Then you have paid Microsoft for a copy of Windows, albeit indirectly.
I've always built my PCs myself, except for my laptop. I asked the guy if he can just erase windows, cus I don't want to pay for it. He said he is willing to format the drives for me, but I still have to pay for Windows vista. :( So unfortunately you're right (I forgot about my laptop).

swoll1980
April 9th, 2009, 11:12 PM
When I bought my computers I payed for 2 xp pro licenses.

wsonar
April 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I've always built my PCs myself, except for my laptop. I asked the guy if he can just erase windows, cus I don't want to pay for it. He said he is willing to format the drives for me, but I still have to pay for Windows vista. :( So unfortunately you're right (I forgot about my laptop).

system76 or no-OS laptop's can solves this problem

I've usually ended up with VL copies of MS from working in IT

gnomeuser
April 9th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I paid for it as part of the laptop I use right now, here in Denmark getting computers without Windows is close to impossible. It's sad really, I wish I could get the choice to at least support the things I like, I wouldn't even mind paying a bit extra to offset the handouts Microsoft and 3rd party vendors give them to preinstall as part of the OEM deals.

Stupendoussteve
April 9th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I have bought a couple of pre-installed versions.

I got two copies of Vista Ultimate for free from Microsoft, for taking a survey. Didn't really have a reason to buy a copy after that.

lisati
April 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I've never gone out of my way to purchase a copy of Windows - I've made do with the copies of Windows that were pre-installed on the computers I've bought.

speedwell68
April 9th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Yep I bought Windows 3.0, 98se and 2K. Everthing else I have owned has come preinstalled. I have been using Windows since version 1.0. and totally gave it up as a dead loss when Vista was launched.

inobe
April 9th, 2009, 11:40 PM
i bought a pc from my isp, a compaq presario, i payed 300$ for it in the 90's, it was preloaded with ME haha......

after the experience from hell i never purchased anymore pc's, i built them afterwards and used linux.

i did get a laptop preloaded with vista for my wife under the arrangement that she agree to the ms eula !

i will never agree to such a restrictive license anymore, for that i refuse to agree to the terms and will not install on my machine.

Mokoma
April 9th, 2009, 11:42 PM
building is always better than buying

inobe
April 9th, 2009, 11:47 PM
read the eula, it's a long read, you may want and attorney to decipher the legal mumbo jumbo

but to sum it up, you cant do this' you cant do that, you cant do this' you cant do that, if you do your *** is mines :lol:

apmcd47
April 9th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I purposely bought PC components and an OEM copy ov XP so that I could install XP on that machine and hold the disc for another day.

Previous PCs have come from work so the copy of Windows installed was purchased through a site licence.

If I didn't have kids who wanted to play games on a PC I wouldn't have a Windows PC at home :-)

(having said that this post is written on a laptop running Vista)

Andrew

connorh123
April 9th, 2009, 11:58 PM
If I may add on, there was this discussion long ago about the only reason people use Ubuntu, is because it's free and cheap, and somewhat hard to get used to. I'm guessing, people were naturally were grown up with Windows, because it's easy to program. This is just my theory, however, don't take it the wrong way.

inobe
April 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM
If I may add on, there was this discussion long ago about the only reason people use Ubuntu, is because it's free and cheap, and somewhat hard to get used to. I'm guessing, people were naturally were grown up with Windows, because it's easy to program. This is just my theory, however, don't take it the wrong way.

my theory is similar except the learning curve, it would take as much time learning windows as with linux, however once one is accustomed to something over the years it suddenly becomes a waste of time for them to learn again.

the human mind in all respect is lazy

dragos240
April 10th, 2009, 12:05 AM
My dad bought XP and later Vista for me, wheni came accross vista, i want looking for alternatives, thanks to vista i'm here.

wsonar
April 10th, 2009, 12:06 AM
. I'm guessing, people were naturally were grown up with Windows, because it's easy to program. This is just my theory, however, don't take it the wrong way.

I think people grew up on windows because it was licenced on every new OEM pc and mac's where more expensive

wsonar
April 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM
the human mind in all respect is lazy

From an IT point it's faster to reimage than troubleshoot

jpmelos
April 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I paid for Windows because it came pre-installed in my laptop and there was no way I could not pay for it if I wanted the laptop.

And I'd pay for it again, because my laptop is so freaking good... I removed Vista (I had at least to check out the interface/design/performance... was already paid for, right?) and installed Ubuntu.

gn2
April 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM
In total I've paid for three windows licences, two Xp and one Vista.
All were supplied with new hardware and at point of sale there was no option to buy the hardware without the licence.

cariboo
April 10th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I've paid for a copy of every release except for ME and Win2K. I never did like ME and I got a free copy of Win2k from Microsoft during the Win2k rollout. I still have win 3.11 on floppies, though due to bit rot they don't work any more. The rest of the CD's are still in perfect shape and sitting on a shelf in my shop.

Jim

samjh
April 10th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Almost everyone who has purchased a Windows PC would have paid for Windows. I've personally bought Windows 98 and XP Home. Windows XP Professional I got for free as a special MSDN deal when I was a student.

But with Linux, there is no need anymore. :)

qmqmqm
April 10th, 2009, 01:56 AM
To be honest Linux should have a more user friendly GUI and less command-line stuff, and have more and better applications if it wants to compete with Windows for non-geek users...

e.g. Open office v.s. MS Office 2007 - the latter is significantly better!

pwnst*r
April 10th, 2009, 01:59 AM
yep, and am glad i did.

samjh
April 10th, 2009, 02:08 AM

Unfortunately, I agree with you.

Although in terms of pricing, OpenOffice just can't be beaten. ;) Perhaps the uptake of OpenOffice by government organisations might see its features and usability improve to compete against MS Office on even ground.

sideaway
April 10th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Every computer I own has linux on it. Except my main rig. I just can't do without 3dmax, PS, autocad and my games :) I have managed to get steam running on ubuntu... but it's too buggy and slow to take seriously as a gaming platform.

The only MS license I have EVER paid for is XP... and I had no choice. came with my laptop.

Currently using Windows 7 for the main rig. I'm actually impressed with MS for once. I like Office 07 and Win 7, so I might actually have to buy windows 7... *braces for ubuntu barrage*

FrankT-Qc
April 10th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Let me remind you that most of you that bought a pre assembled PC have bought Windows with it...

doorknob60
April 10th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Buying it on prebuilt machines, yes, but not buying a regular retail copy. If I need it, I find other ways to get it...

rodneymillerpca
April 10th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I have purchased windows 3.1 thru windows xp for 4 machines and Windows server 2003 thru 2008 for the server. I could kick myself for ever leaving linux.For every $1.00 I paid ms I can guarantee I have lost at least $100.00 in productivity.

inobe
April 10th, 2009, 02:48 AM
To be honest Linux should have a more user friendly GUI and less command-line stuff, and have more and better applications if it wants to compete with Windows for non-geek users...

name some applications you used that required command line :)

blastus
April 10th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Desktops:
Not for a while since I build my own computers now.

Laptops:
Laptops come saddled with Windows so I was forced to get my new laptop with Windows. And they come with a bunch of OEM installed crapware with a recovery partition and no installation media. Which is why I back up the MBR, back up the recovery partition, blow away the drive, break Windows then slipstream it so I can install it the way I want cleanly without all the crapware and activation/validation/phoning-home intrusions. So yes I've paid for Windows but I don't use my product key with it.

wolfen69
April 10th, 2009, 03:50 AM
i bought 2 versions of windows in the past. $300 total. never again. $300 can sustain me for a while, i'm not going to give it to bill when there is a better free alternative.

wolfen69
April 10th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I have purchased windows 3.1 thru windows xp for 4 machines and Windows server 2003 thru 2008 for the server. I could kick myself for ever leaving linux.For every $1.00 I paid ms I can guarantee I have lost at least $100.00 in productivity.

<bitch slaps rodney> ;)

just kidding btw.

toejamfootball
April 10th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I bought XP Pro Upgrade when Vista came out. I already had XP home install on a PC that was given to me, it only cost me AUD$80. I use it every day. It is now installed on a machine that doesn't go online and is used for recording and running Music composition/notation software.

bashveank
April 10th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I bought an OEM package of Windows XP 64 a couple years ago with a new PC. Other than that I've never payed for Windows, only gotten it bundled with a new PC, or used a disk from my dad's company (when I was young enough to beg him to bring home the latest Windows update :D)

qmqmqm
April 10th, 2009, 04:33 AM
name some applications you used that required command line :)

For example, when I install an application, I sometimes need to use wget to get it. And I remember as a newbie of Linux I spent a long time figuring out how to install a driver of a peripheral device using command line. And I dont think there was a GUI-based way to do it.

Seems like in Windows you very rarely need to download anything using command line, and every installer is GUI based, if not plug-and-play...

Swagman
April 10th, 2009, 04:41 AM
When I built my first PC (Tyan Tsunami P2) I bought

Win 95

Then went halves with my bro on an upgrade disk to 98

Then bought Win2kpro

Then found debian

MasterNetra
April 10th, 2009, 05:02 AM
All my GUI based PC's have had windows come with it. However my next PC will be a labtop from system76 :)

collinp
April 10th, 2009, 05:06 AM
no. after the **** i got with vista i torrented xp. before moving on to ubuntu
I wouldnt be saying that you pirated software on a public forum like this.
"LOL I torrented XP I want a lawsuit!"

rmayer32
April 10th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Last time I went out and actually bought a copy was 2k. I have bought a couple of preloaded machines with XP. My laptop came with Vista, now runs Kubuntu quite well with an XP install in Virtual Box that is hardly used.

When I bought the laptop I did not yet know of System 76, but while Vista itself never gave me any trouble, it was so resource heavy on this system that I found Ubuntu and now it runs great.

Methuselah
April 10th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Yes, I did buy Xp professional (student discount) to upgrade from the awful millenium that came with a PC my parents bought but this was before Ubuntu existed.
I remember playing with alternative OSes back then (because I was curious) but hardware support was much poorer than now and it was tough get all the functionality.
In that respect, we are really in a golden age now compared to just 5 years ago.

I also bought a copy of Xp home recently to run in a VM for connecting to a workplace sonicwall (no linux client).

I have never bought or installed Vista at home and I certainly don't plan to do so for windows 7.

kidux
April 10th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I paid for 98, then the "upgrade" to ME, as well as XP. At this point, I look at it as buying a game console, since that's all I use it for.

kidux
April 10th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Seems like in Windows you very rarely need to download anything using command line, and every installer is GUI based, if not plug-and-play...

Unless I'm using a torrent, I still use wget in Win. It just makes it easier, especially when it will keep trying to download when the connection gets spotty.

FuturePilot
April 10th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I've never purchased a version of Windows other than the one that came with my computers. I use Ubuntu 99% of the time so I really don't care about Windows or if I don't have the latest version of Windows.

Pasdar
April 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I wouldnt be saying that you pirated software on a public forum like this.
"LOL I torrented XP I want a lawsuit!"
Mehh, half the world pirates software. 40% of Genuine Validations failed in the U.S. alone, the rest is smarter and knows how to circumvent the validation too and are fully enjoying all the updates from MS. :p

It would be useless for MS to sue individuals, there are too many schools and companies out that have pirated MS software on all their PCs, and there are torrent sites filled with MS products for download. I'd think they'd focus on them if they ever want to see part of their money back.

Paqman
April 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM
i torrented xp.

I hope you had the MD5SUM for a legit version, because you sure as hell didn't get the .torrent file from Microsoft. Torrenting OSes from non-trusted sources is a huge security risk.

Newuser1111
April 10th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Have you ever paid for Windows?
Yes

CraigPaleo
April 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I voted "no" because it sounds like you're asking about the stand-alone Windows operating systems. I've only paid for the Microsoft "tax" that came with my PCs. The only OS I've ever bought, without a computer attached, was Mac OS X Leopard. Now, I can't even find the disc!

khelben1979
April 10th, 2009, 10:32 AM
No, I have never paid for Windows myself. I grew up with C64 and Amiga and have always have had a negative attitude towards Windows. Personally, I hope that I will never ever haveto pay for a Windows license in my lifetime, at least not in private (if I work for a company, that's a different story).

I personally know people which have paid for Windows where I have had the possibility on acquiring it the legal way, just so I don't need to get paranoid now. [-o< :)

itreius
April 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Yes, I paid for Windows 95, 98, 2000 and XP. I might buy Win7, but I highly doubt it. My interest in video games has dropped entirely over the years, making the whole Win platform not-so-attractive for me.

adamlau
April 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM
No, never!

Fenris_rising
April 10th, 2009, 01:13 PM
only with my first pc with win98. Then used an 'acquired' win98 disk when i started building my own pc's. bought a laptop with xp pre-installed. Then 'acquired' a cracked xp disk for my home built pc when the original disk threw a wobbly because i added hardware!!!!!!!!!!

Thereafter i discovered ubuntu and have been windows free for 11 months.........hell i can't even find my old disks :D

regards

Fenris

GerryB
April 10th, 2009, 01:28 PM

I disagree. Google "OxygenOffice" which is OpenOffice Professional. I've been trying it out in an office and network environment for close to a week and it's awesome! It takes about 5 minutes to get to the same comfort level.

mamamia88
April 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM
while i do love office 2007 it has way more features than most people would ever need and no way would be worth $200. I got luck and got it for $10 from my campus bookstore

Dragonbite
April 10th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I paid for a Windows 98 machine back in 2000 but ever since then I've either use the Windows XP that came with the system which I received without cost, or Linux.

I've never paid for Windows directly though.

BkkBonanza
April 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Most notebooks sold in Thailand don't have Windows with or on them. They just expect you'll "get it" somewhere.

My Acer notebook actually had a disk with some unrecalled Linux on it. The salesman said he'd put Windows on for me but I said "NO". He let me boot an Ubuntu Live CD and test out compatibility before buying. Once I saw it worked I took it home and did a full install. Mostly worked great since.

Seems over 20 years through many built machines I never had to buy Windows. I guess that makes me proud now. Vive La Revolutione!

billgoldberg
April 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I bought Vista and XP, they came on the pc.

Yes, that's buying it, you don't get if for free with the pc :p

wsonar
April 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Ms office 2007 lets move everything around so we can sell more training

Skripka
April 10th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Sorry, you couldn't pay me enough to work with Office2007-it might look hip but being experienced with prior versions, 2007 is unuseable. OOO3 is far better IMHO, in terms of interface.

Hyper Tails
April 10th, 2009, 05:21 PM
no it came on my laptop and on my older pc's

jwbrase
April 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Sorry, you couldn't pay me enough to work with Office2007-it might look hip but being experienced with prior versions, 2007 is unuseable. OOO3 is far better IMHO, in terms of interface.

Ay-men!!! We still have Office 2003 on our computers at home, but the computers at school have 2007. The interface is so different as to be unusable. Different interfaces are something I can live with if switching between software platforms, eg, Gnome vs. Windows, Open Office vs. Office. But between different versions of the same platform, I find big jumps like that intolerable. And Open Office manages, despite being a different package, to have a closer interface to earlier versions of Office that Office 2007.

That said, I would like to hear what the objections are to Open Office. I haven't actually used it alot, so the only big difference I'm concious of between it and Office 2007 is the interface.

Dragonbite
April 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM

I've been using it at work and the ribbon, while it takes time to get used to it, isn't so bad. One feature I like is being able to minimize the entire ribbon so I can concentrate on the file I'm working on. Previewing format changes is nice too (see the highlighted text change with whatever format you are hovering your mouse over but doesn't set it until you click on the button).

With OpenOffice.org I had trouble moving between OO.o and Office 2007. I also had trouble going between OO.o 3.0 and OO.o 2.3 and 2.4. Formats changed or didn't take or convert from one system to another.

stchman
April 10th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Yes, I have bought several machines with XP or Vista pre-installed.

I have erased them in favor of Ubuntu.

As far as the cost difference in a machine with or without Windows I have actually found that PCs with Windows pre-installed are less expensive.

I believe that M$ gets about $30 per liscense per machine. OEM and retail versions are more expensive.

Ericyzfr1
April 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I actually bought 2 copies of XP ( I should not bragg about it), it was before I discovered Linux....Two laptops I own were running on preinstalled version. I just wanted to get rid of all the useless software that came with it. They are both running Ubuntu now.

I only bought the Upgrade version, which can be use for complete install and cost 1/2 price of the full version.

Northsider
April 11th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Yes, when I got my computer I "bought" it, in the sense it came with the computer.

will1911a1
April 11th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I've never paid for a copy of Windows, no. Never bought a pre-built computer either.

Giant Speck
April 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I'm going to say that I technically didn't pay for Windows when I got my laptop. I didn't even pay for the laptop. It was a gift from my mother. Therefore, my mother paid for the laptop and therefore indirectly paid for Windows.

I am planning to buy Windows 7 myself, though.

joshdudeha
April 11th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I've always got second hand computers :/
And.... well - yeah, i got windows xp.. one time - for free....
errr

xD i needed it, ok

AndyCooll
April 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I had been using pirated versions of Windows for years, when my conscienmce got the better of me (this was 2005). So I bought a legal version of Windows XP. Problem was I was running 3 or 4 pc's.

At the same time I started looking for legally free software. And I managed to put together a full, legal and complete system where the only piece of software I paid for was the OS itself.

It was during this search for free software that I first came across Linux. And soon after I made the switch.

I recently bought a laptop and this came with Vista pre-installed (Dell didn't seem to be selling Ubuntu versions when I went to their website). I've left Vista on (since I've paid for it), but installed Ubuntu. And it's Ubuntu I boot into.

:cool: