PDA

View Full Version : I'll probably get flamed for this, but...

lykwydchykyn
April 9th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Have you ever noticed that when someone says "I'll probably get flamed for this, but..." they almost never get flamed for it, and end up looking like a paranoid fool for saying as much?

Do you find yourself using this phrase as a sure-fire way to prevent getting flamed?

Skripka
April 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Why do you hate Windows so much?

Godly
April 9th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Never even heard of that saying.

Ralex1098
April 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Interesting. Definitely attracts my attention because I love conflict.

days_of_ruin
April 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
In my experience usually when people say that they end up getting flamed.

Therion
April 9th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I work with a couple of real flamers.

DigiTan
April 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I think it's really a tool people use to avoid getting flamed. You'll catch less heat when you provide your own disclaimers.

sekinto
April 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
It is a psychological thing. You can observe similar behaviours like:
"Check my <thing> out (I know it is bad)."
"Here's my idea for solving <problem>, although it probably won't work."
or the general:
"<...>, I know I suck."

If people degrade themselves they know they will get a warmer response.

Sporkman
April 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Have you ever noticed that when someone says "I'll probably get flamed for this, but..." they almost never get flamed for it, and end up looking like a paranoid fool for saying as much?

Those who are cautious enough to make that disclaimer are probably too cautious to say things that are inciteful enough to beget flaming.

chucky chuckaluck
April 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
i actually like getting flamed. it makes the opposing viewpoint seem so... "ew! you make me very, very angy"-ish. you know that if your point doesn't get them, an aneurysm will (plus it makes them seem less reasonable).

lisati
April 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM

Do you find yourself using this phrase as a sure-fire way to prevent getting flamed?

It certainly arouses my curiosity: what could it be that the person is worried about?

NE Key
April 9th, 2009, 10:06 PM

I can't believe that you can you be so stupid as to put forward that point of view. Don't you grasp that ever since Gallileo finally disproved the Copernican model that we run round the sun.

Will that do ?

Or should a flame be more abusive ?

PurposeOfReason
April 9th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I think it is a sign of insecurity. Something like saying "I'm not racist, but . . ."

ninjapirate89
April 9th, 2009, 10:43 PM
This guy really got flamed...

mkendall
April 10th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I work with a couple of real flamers.

Oh no you di'int! [-X

ooh SNAP!

Kareeser
April 10th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Those who are cautious enough to make that disclaimer are probably too cautious to say things that are inciteful enough to beget flaming.

Sporkman, I might get flamed for this, but I think you're a douche. :)

Cautious enough for ya? ;)

schauerlich
April 10th, 2009, 01:23 AM
"I'll probably get flamed for this, but..." usually precedes flamebait. Especially in the Cafe, where it's all flamebait anyways.

SomeGuyDude
April 10th, 2009, 01:49 AM
You have a stupid screen name and I hate your family.

happysmileman
April 10th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Generally I'm a lot less bothered by people saying stupid things when they precede it with "I know I'll get flamed for this". Not sure why but I have some ideas.

If someone says "I know I'll get flamed for this" it can be percieved like "I know this is controversial, but I'm not trying to troll, just giving my opinion" whereas leaving it out, people tend to assume either the person is trying to troll purposely, or is portraying whatever he says as fact, not a controversial opinion.

Sporkman
April 10th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Sporkman, I might get flamed for this, but I think you're a douche. :)

Maybe I am, but your personal hygiene is beyond reproach! And your mama dresses you funny.

SomeGuyDude
April 10th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Maybe I am, but your personal hygiene is beyond reproach! And your mama dresses you funny.

Dorothy Mantooth is a SAINT!!!

lykwydchykyn
April 10th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Cads! Scoundrels!

Sef
April 10th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Thread seems to run its course, so locked.