PDA

View Full Version : Future Dream!

marsdend
April 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hi all,

What features would you like to see in the future that would take Ubuntu further than Windows? Features windows would never dream of.

Features to compete with Windows, not copy!

Lets make Ubuntu THE OS

speedwell68
April 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hi all,

What features would you like to see in the future that would take Ubuntu further than Windows? Features windows would never dream of.

Features to compete with Windows, not copy!

Lets make Ubuntu THE OS

An intergrated Anti Virus.

:lolflag:

corpsehacker
April 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM
An integrated anti virus would be awesome but a waste of time and resources.

marsdend
April 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
An intergrated Anti Virus.
:lolflag:

Although Ubuntu isnt targeted with viruses, this might be a good idea as what would we do if we didnt have AV and there was a sudden outbreak!

juancarlospaco
April 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Too much to List...

marsdend
April 9th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Too much to List...

lol too right, I have been using ubuntu for over a year and one thing i miss is the little icon saying that your system is safe like Comodo etc

marsdend
April 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I would like to see better native support for all hardware, i hated installing drivers in windows, took ages and the software that came with it, all just bloated the system

speedwell68
April 9th, 2009, 08:16 PM
An integrated anti virus would be awesome but a waste of time and resources.

I was actually joking, but after a few moments thought, is an integrated AV such a silly idea. Whilst we are pretty immune to the nasties that the Internet has to offer, we can still host a virus and pass it unwittingly to Windows users. So a basic level of protection might actually be a good thing.

bolax
April 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I was actually joking, but after a few moments thought, is an integrated AV such a silly idea. Whilst we are pretty immune to the nasties that the Internet has to offer, we can still host a virus and pass it unwittingly to Windows users. So a basic level of protection might actually be a good thing.

But that's not my problem

Stupendoussteve
April 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM

You should consider it your problem too. It affects the entire online community.

sekinto
April 9th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Yeah, your right, it isn't your problem that you passed on a virus to someone.

Next time I get sick I'll make sure to cough all over you. Not my problem if something happens.

juancarlospaco
April 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Future:

Wine 2.0 with DirectX 11 & OpenGL 3.0 support, double click an .exe ask you if want to install Wine.
CocoTron 1.0 to run OS X Software (just like Wine), double click an .dmg ask you if want to install CocoTron.
EXT4 & BTRFS Full Stable Support.
Gnome and others have been integrated GwinWrap to use any Video or Stream like a Wallpaper
Gnome-Shell 2.0
Gnome-Art NG have been hacked to make it work with Gnome-look.org
Back In Time have a nice redesign GUI and is on Ubuntu Main Repos
Gimp 3.5 same features like the last PS
Emesene 2.5 WebCam send&receive, Winks, GIF avatar, blahblahblah
Webmin is now on Ubuntu Community maintained Repos
PeaZIP is now on Ubuntu Community maintained Repos
Great games comes out due to GPL'ed liberation of ID-Software's Doom 3 Engine (promised by ID-Software)

Server LTS:

Ubuntu Directory is Finished and Stable, it can easy replace an MS AD 2003, with Web-based GUI and Java Based GUI
VM-Builder now have a Optional Web-Based GUI
Ebox enhaced, and new package ebox-prism comes out
Ubuntu Server LTS runs stable on EXT4 and BTRFS.
New proyect called "Ubuntu RAID Manager" is on the horizont.

if some coder want to start copying my ideas, just do it :p

Sporkman
April 9th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Some sort of neural interface.

Then we could do away with keyboards, mice, and displays.

Thelasko
April 9th, 2009, 09:22 PM
lol too right, I have been using ubuntu for over a year and one thing i miss is the little icon saying that your system is safe like Comodo etc

I miss the Zone Alarm style firewall warnings (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/contributor/Thelasko/solutions/)(suggestion 5). Unfortunately, Zone Alarm just became too bloated.

Other than that, a really easy program to create javascript applications. Similar to Adobe's Flash Creative Suite.

To help with the brainstorming, think of a problem that you want solved.

eragon100
April 9th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Two that already exist:

1: 3d rendering of the desktop and all windows + their content on it (in compiz with the "anaglyph" plugin. Just requires 3d red/green glasses)

2: head motion tracking via webcam to control windows on the screen by moving your head, and blinking with your eyes and such. (In compiz with another plugin, search google. Requires a webcam, offcourse.)