PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu PC

marsdend
April 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Random question, but when Ubuntu goes mainstream which I personally believe it will, and you see computers and laptops in Currys, Comet, PC World etc. How much would you be happy paying for it? and what would you expect from the pc?

Dan

LowSky
April 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Why would I pay for Ubuntu, its free, and going to be free forever, thats the deal.
As for a computer preloaded with it, I expect to pay less than one that is preloaded with Windows.

Therion
April 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Random question, but when Ubuntu goes mainstream which I personally believe it will, and you see computers and laptops in Currys, Comet, PC World etc. How much would you be happy paying for it? and what would you expect from the pc?

Well I build my own PC's from parts, but putting that aside, I'd love to see more Linux based PC's on retailers shelves as much as the next fan-boy. How much I'd be willing to pay for it though, would totally depend on the hardware profile of the system in question.

speedwell68
April 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
You can already buy Linux machines from those stores. I am using one right now. Ok, they are only Netbooks, but the concept is there. I got my Acer One A150 from Currys and AFAIK the XP A150 is the same price as a Linux A150. Mine came with Linpus Lite which quickly got replaced with UNR.

Personally I wouldn't actually pay any extra for a machine with Linux pre-installed. My new desktop came with Vista, I never even booted it, the first time I switched it on I booted from a memory stick and installed Intrepid. I wouldn't pay for something that I can get 100% FOC from the internet.

marsdend
April 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Sorry, i didnt mean pay for Ubuntu, I meant in the sense of Desktop PC's Preloaded with Ubuntu for the basic home use.

jespdj
April 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
How much I'd be willing to pay for it though, would totally depend on the hardware profile of the system in question.
Agree with Therion. Let's say, the price of a Windows PC minus 50 euros, which is approximately the price of an OEM version of Windows.

Mark76
April 9th, 2009, 08:32 PM
In order to appeal to Joe and Joanna Public they're going to have to have non-free codecs installed by default. So that would probably add something to the basic cost.