PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania Based Linux Group

NightwishFan
April 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I already posted this before, but I got few responses, so I thought I would bring up this subject here.

I have started a small organization called Wayfarer. What I hope to accomplish is to spread the word about free and open source software projects, like Ubuntu. It also will function sort of like a LUG as well. I am not asking for members or volunteers yet, but more advice and opinions of what I can accomplish.

Thank you for any answers! ):P

dark_harmonics
April 10th, 2009, 05:27 PM
One of the great initiatives we could learn from the other Pennsylvania teams is to configure older equipment with linux for people who cant afford computers.

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I am already on that. I am gathering old hardware, and converting all of them to Puppy (< 128mb), Debian (128>256), or Ubuntu/SUSE/Fedora (above 256).

I am going to donate them at no cost. So far I have only gathered two machines though.

dark_harmonics
April 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I might be able to help in that department. :) we just need an official project for it first.

NightwishFan
April 13th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I do not have internet at home currently, so I will have to get in touch with my co-founder and see what we can organize. I will get back to you.

By the way.. Other goals include:

Creating distributable open source software for Windows to hand on CD/DVD.

LUGs and casual "non-official" consulting.

etc..

dark_harmonics
April 14th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I do not have internet at home currently
What! That is like blasphemy :). It sounds like you have good goals for an open source supporter. Anything I can lend I will.

NightwishFan
April 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Thank you, I have been cooking this up for a long time. My lack of internet at home is the real reason I am not taking it prime time. I have a proxy, my second in command who can aid me in that, however he is less full time open source than I am. Regardless, thank you for your support, and if you have any brainstorms feel free to contact me here.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Sorry for the double post. I have made some beta artwork and a goals statement, and I would like to share them.

http://uraharakisuke153.googlepages.com/wayfarer.pdf

elizabeth
April 17th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I have made some beta artwork

This is probably a good time to point out that Canonical owns the Ubuntu trademark, so any artwork that uses it has to abide by their trademark policy:

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

zeronothing
April 18th, 2009, 01:56 AM
NightwishFan long time no see. Let me know what kind of plans you have. I like the idea and would like to help out.

NightwishFan
April 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
This is probably a good time to point out that Canonical owns the Ubuntu trademark, so any artwork that uses it has to abide by their trademark policy:

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

Thank you, but I am already aware of that, of course. The other logo is mine, the Ubuntu one is merely a mock-up if I would brand an Ubuntu variant, or document, etc.