PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't connect to my router

D@RKKIN6
April 9th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hi

I m new to Ubuntu.
I've installed it on my laptop with Wubi.exe, so I have Vista and Ubuntu 8.10
When I open my Vista, it finds all the wireless close to me and connects automaticly to my Wireless router.
But when I launch Ubuntu, it finds the routers, I write down my WEP code, it tries to connect then it launch an error box. It says that "the wireless connection needs Code."
So I can only connect to the internet with cable.
Can it be that it doesn't find my router and finds another, because I named my router "Dark-Wifi" and Ubuntu displays "Philips-Wifi" and my router is the only Philips-Wifi in my envirement?

D@RKKIN6
April 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Yesterday I put my laptop on the same place as the first time, but now it doesn't find any wireless connections!!!
On Vista I can see all wireless connections, but Ubuntu don't find any connection
Please can someone help me?

lisati
April 11th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Sometimes it takes a little while for wireless stations to register that an access point has gone "off air" and has been replaced by one of the same name.
If the new name shows up when you click on the network icon on the top panel, and all you have changed is the name, you should be able to connect.

D@RKKIN6
April 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Sometimes it takes a little while for wireless stations to register that an access point has gone "off air" and has been replaced by one of the same name.
If the new name shows up when you click on the network icon on the top panel, and all you have changed is the name, you should be able to connect.

But I stay for 1 hour after my laptop, then I look if there is any wireless connection and it doesn't find one connection. So I can connect only with cable.
And somtimes I need Wifi, for example at school or when visiting a friend(when they don't have a spare cable).
I'm going to try today once more to connect to a wireless connection.
But isn't there a code to use in Terminal to find all routers in my envirement?(Because the most wireless applications doesn't work, gives the same solution as before)