PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntopia MMOSG [Under Development]

Coffee3133
April 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Greetings all,

First I would like to say that in the backwater little town that I live in here in the stix, that my choices for computers is limited when it comes to purchasing one.

You can imagine my surprise [heavy sarcasm] that the local Wal-Mart only carried computers in my hometown which had two flavors of OS. Vista Basic, or Vista Home Premium.

It was time to upgrade computers and I thought to myself, "Self, why not just buy a computer from there and get out your trusty copy of Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS and install a real operating system on the fresh out of the box computer.

I am happy to report that my Dell Inspirion 530 hums right along running fully on a fresh install of Ubuntu.

But that is not why I am posting.

Indeed there are greater things afoot.

I love games, and wanted to do something to give back to the Ubuntu Community. I have held this idea for sometime now. I had even purchased a domain name that laid dormant for several months until just yesterday.

I have always been facinated by 4-X games and the concept of having a MMOSG. So I have been working on the various techniques and algorythms for the last few months to develop a 4-X game which is more inline with the spirit of Ubuntu.

I am ready now to begin the hard work of coding the game and getting started in all realms of this project.

I will state this for now, the game will be browser-based, cross-platform compatible, and completely devoid of proprietary technologies like flash and other eye candy which would make the game not work on all systems.

The game will embrace the spirit of Ubuntu and the sense of teamwork and community which goes into all facets of it.

I shall wrap up for now.

But if it is okay, I would like to continue posting to this thread about the progress I am making on the game, and even perhaps enlist the help of others for the translations and alpha/beta testing.

Thank you,

~Coffee3133

forrestcupp
April 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Sounds pretty cool. If you're going to call it Ubuntopia, you might want to email Canonical and get permission. They can be grumpy about trademark infringement sometimes. I'm sure they wouldn't mind, but it's better to be safe than sorry, especially before you get too deep and it's harder to change things.

Sounds like a great project, though.

Coffee3133
April 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Forrest,

You are probably right. It would be better to air on the side of caution. I mean after all the game can still exemplify the best qualities of a great community without being called anything with Ubuntu in the name.

Just call it a little bit of hero worship;)

I will go ahead and switch the servers over to the MyGovGame domain that I have and continue development using that domain name.

So I guess the title of the game will be MyGovGame, but will showcase some of the better qualities of the Ubuntu community. :)

Thank you,

~Coffee3133

forrestcupp
April 9th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Aw, I think you should try to get permission to call it Ubuntopia; that's a pretty good name. :)

Simian Man
April 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
The word "Ubuntu" goes beyond Canonical. If your game embraces the meaning of the original word - and not the OS, you can't possibly be sued for copyright infringement.

DeadSuperHero
April 9th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I really like this idea. How far have you gone with it so far? Any details on how it work work (gameplay-wise, I mean).

gnomeuser
April 9th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Ubuntu is the new k or g, which now has to be attached to any application name possible. Not that it ends with applications, there's even Ubuntu cola now.

Aside a plea that you reconsider the name to set your project aside from the multitude of Ubuntuism out there (and just think how hard it will be to rise in those Google ranks with all that competition). I wish you good luck, please keep us updated on the progress.

Firestom
April 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Good idea for your MMOSG. Before contacting Canonical, I would start by coding most of the game, to give them an idea on what you want to put the name Ubuntu on. If they're impressed and that this might do good publicity, they're going to be most willing to accept than if betting on speculations.

Anyway, if you want any help, you should just expose how you want it to work, how many people you need and which language/libraries you are going to need.

forrestcupp
April 10th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Good idea for your MMOSG. Before contacting Canonical, I would start by coding most of the game, to give them an idea on what you want to put the name Ubuntu on. If they're impressed and that this might do good publicity, they're going to be most willing to accept than if betting on speculations.

That's a good idea as long as you code it so that it will be easy to change the name and any graphics with the name throughout the entire game if you have to.

Coffee3133
April 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Hello,

First off I would like to thank you all for making me believe that their are people who still care. It is refreshing in this world to know that there are people who are passionate in their beliefs and want to do good in this world.

With that said ...

I have decided that I will use the MyGovGame.org website to develop the game. The game will be released in open source, and will be EASILY transportable over to the Ubuntopia.org domain I have if the higher ups give their okay on the project and full blessing :)

"What computer languages are being used?" you ask.

Okay here we go...

I plan on making it a browser based game which is based upon open source technologies. The game will use PHP, HTML, Style Sheets, and JavaScript with a MySQL backend.

"What will the game play be like?" you ask.

Okay here we go ... :)

(Smile you are going to enjoy this)

Okay first of all the game will be a social strategy game. It will focus heavily upon diplomacy where teamwork will ultimately have many more advantages than trying to be the king of everything solo;)

It is based upon the concept of world building and developing a nation in the land of [blah]. There will be an extensive technology and social development tree which will allow for almost infinite combinations of game style making each nation unique.

I have some experience as a traditional role-playing game designer, and I am familiar with the concept of both the need for and avoiding overly using being able to "game the system."

Trade in material goods nations produce, or technologies, or social or cultural exchanges will be possible and encouraged.

Traditional warfare is still possible between nations, but no one likes an unruly neighbor, so the warring nation had better be sure they can come out on top if they choose that style of play.

espionage and sabotage are possible against other nations, but if discovered can lead to consequences the player engaging in them may not want to have happen. (Like a nation going to war with you for sending in spies)

The game will be population based for each empire with resources which vary from land area to land area.

"How far have you gotten?" you ask.

Okay here goes ...

I have developed some basic security scripts and funcitons used in the game and as of this morning are developing the database to the game.

I blame my lack of progress on a temporary bit of insanity where I went back to windows where I found that the only program I used there (a chat program) was a bit too much like stepping into a JR. High: Total Drama.

So i am back to Ubuntu now and am focused.

The game will be offered in SVN builds every night at 12:00 Midnight CST (GMT -6) at the mygovgame.org site.

I guess the bottom line is while I am using the codename of Ubuntopia for both the spirit of the game and for developmental purposes, I would not use that domain I have unless given permission.

In fact right now, maybe it should be called, "Project Purple Kitty" LOL

Okay I will get to work.

If anyone is interested in helping out with this project, just reply to this thread,

Thank you,

~Coffee

forrestcupp
April 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Oh, I thought it was a MassivelyMultiplayer Online Sports Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMOSG#MMO_sports_Game).

That sounds cool.

Coffee3133
April 11th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Oh, I thought it was a MassivelyMultiplayer Online Sports Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMOSG#MMO_sports_Game).

Yeah, I know that the use of the term MMOSG as of late seems to be geared towards the sports world, but one of its meanings is Massively Multiplayer Online Social Game.

In fact all MMOG's are MMOSG's for the most part.

If you look up the wikipedia article for MMOG you will, in fact, find the term MMOSG used in its definition.

I hope I didn't mislead anyone, or confuse anyone too badly, LOL

Thank you,

~Joel

Newuser1111
April 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
MyGovGame.orgThat site just has a Fedora Test Page.

Coffee3133
April 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
That site just has a Fedora Test Page.

Yes, that is because it is under development. ;)

It will soon be replaced by the work in progress which will be the game. I really wish my hosting provider would use dedicated servers which use Ubuntu, but hey at the price and performance history I am not going to complain.

I will begin scripting the actual scripts of the site, just as soon as I can get some rudimentary database tables laid out.

I am sorry I took a break to go to the store to get some Ubuntu Cola (not really, I got Diet Pepsi), but as soon as the caffeine can hit my brain I will be back at work on the game. :)

Thank you,

~Joel

Coffee3133
April 11th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Hello,

Well with a late lunch of a bologna sandwich under my belt and the caffeine kicking in, I am working at a feverish pace on the database.

I am trying to be thorough and precise in how I am laying out the DB, because I don't want to lose time later on when it comes to the hard work of actually scripting the site.

I have given some thought to the type of help I could use on this project, and it comes down to a few areas:

1. Security Testers - I will need people to double check the security of the scripts and make sure that everything is just fine :)

2. Artists - The way I have worked with artists in the past has been to allow them to have free reign when it comes to the concept of what art they wish to place. I usually just come up with stock-placeholder images of the width and height I need and place them in the program and allow the artists to come up with the design on their own.

3. Playtesters - Now I know what you are thinking: why in the heck is he thinking about playtesters when he hasn't even gotten an alpha of the game up yet. Very simply this project will need feedback at all facets of development and should be designed by Ubuntu Gamers for Ubuntu Gamers. This means getting feedback from playtesters as the game is being designed.

If anyone would like to help out with any of these areas, or help me even in refining the scripts, or want to help in any capacity, please do not hesitate to reply to this thread or email me at joel@mygovgame.org

Thank you,

~Joel

Coffee3133
April 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I have been working on designing the game, and have some progress and changes to report.

First the changes:

The site where the game will be developed and eventually played will be ubuntopia.org. I have placed a coming soon page there with a link to my email if anyone is interested in helping out.

I guess I just liked the name ubuntopia too much to let it go. Call me sentimental, but I liked the concept about humanity the word implies, and it is happy chance that I can operate my own computer with an operating system that shares not only the name Ubuntu but the true spirit of the word.

Now for the progress:

Work is underway to design every aspect of the game in advance before a single db table is laid out or even a simple function is written. In this way we can be assured the game will be developed in a timely manner and will be much easier to coordinate the efforts of all involved with the project.

With that said, I will get to work on continuing to write the design documents and report back when they are completed.

Thank you,

~Joel