PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Set Acer AL 1715 resolution

oldcelt
April 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM
This monitor is capable of 1024 x 768 and was ok under WXP.

There is no Linux driver as far as I can see and it is defaulting to 800 x 600. I know the technical details but I can't find out how to set up a monitor with the necessary refresh rate etc.

Anybody help please?

Ken

oldcelt
April 9th, 2009, 05:57 PM
This monitor is capable of 1024 x 768 and was ok under WXP.

There is no Linux driver as far as I can see and it is defaulting to 800 x 600. I know the technical details but I can't find out how to set up a monitor with the necessary refresh rate etc.

Anybody help please?

Ken

Aw, c'mon guys - surely somebody must know how to set up a monitor using the technical data?

Zimmer
April 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
need to know what graphics card and (if any ) proprietry driver you are using and which Ubuntu.

I have such a monitor in front of me that autodetected and runs the right resolutions!!

oldcelt
April 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM
need to know what graphics card and (if any ) proprietry driver you are using and which Ubuntu.

I have such a monitor in front of me that autodetected and runs the right resolutions!!
Ubuntu 8.10. I've loaded no additional drivers - just using a new Ubuntu installation.

Graphics card is ATI Rage 128 Pro in an oldish Dell PC.

As I said, this was recognised and worked fine with WXP Pro.

Jakey_TheSnake
April 10th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Run in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk

Then:

displayconfig-gtk

You'll get a GUI (Graphical User Interface) up, select your monitor make and model, then resolution.

edit: if your monitor/screen doesn't register as plug and play, you'll have to wikipedia your laptop model to find out the screen info.

oldcelt
April 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Run in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk

Then:

displayconfig-gtk

You'll get a GUI (Graphical User Interface) up, select your monitor make and model, then resolution.

edit: if your monitor/screen doesn't register as plug and play, you'll have to wikipedia your laptop model to find out the screen info.

No go I'm afraid. Error says displayconfig-gtk has no installation candidate.

This is a desktop, by the way, not a laptop.

oldcelt
April 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM
OK, forget it!

Simple solution:-
Swap iiyama monitor from WXP box to Ubuntu box and put Acer monitor on WXP box.

Both work perfectly. Problem solved!

Life is too short to keep messing about with esoteric terminal command lines.