PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WIreless Strength Went Down After Upgrading to 8.10

neofreud
April 9th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Hello, I am using a Gateway ML3109 laptop. I was running Ubuntu 8.04 on it without any problems and the wireless strength was 100% all the time. I used this guide in order to install the wireless card and make it work properly.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763170

When I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 my signal strength went down to around 10%. It does not make any sense at all to me! I used the same guide to install the wireless card. Perhaps something in the guide is effecting the way that the wireless card is installed since the guide was made for 8.04.

EDIT: After using the internet for a while I notice that the actual bandwith is really not effected. I am able to download things at 700Kb - 1MB per second and also I dont notice lag in online videos or web browsing.

Maybe just the icon or strength app is jacked up and reporting the wrong signal strength?

Black_Wolf_92
April 9th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I find Wicd to be far more reliable and stable than the gnome network manager (default one).

You could always give it a try and see how it responds, and if your don't like it you can re-install it via the livecd repos. If its just a signal strength glitch it may not be worth the trouble though!

neofreud
April 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Hey thanks I will check it out!

I think it is just a glitch though so you are probably right-not worth the trouble.

After using the internet all night I noticed no slow down or anything so I guess I will live as long as the connection speed does not change!