PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Help Installing Drivers for Dynex DX-SC51 Sound Card

chessnerd
April 9th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I just got a sound card in the mail to finally allow me to listen to music on this computer (either the motherboard didn't come with one, or it was somehow damaged, whatever the reason, sound didn't work). I put the sound card in the PCI slot and first booted into Windows 2000 to see if I could get it to work in Windows first. I couldn't get it to install the drivers on it's own, but I put the install CD in and was able to get the card to work.

I then booted into Xubuntu 8.04 and tried to get it to work there. The CD was obviously designed for Windows only, so no dice there. I messed around with the options under Applications>Settings>Settings Manager>Sound and it recognizes the sound card, but I can't get the sound to work. I'm guessing it has to install drivers, but I don't know how to do that.

Does anyone know where I could get drivers?

chessnerd
April 9th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I've done some more reading online and there are people who have used this card with Ubuntu, so I know it's compatible. In fact, most people say that they just put it in and they are done, no need to install drivers or anything. I don't understand why mine isn't working then...

I've tried a couple of the fixes that I felt like I could handle (ie ones that used the GUI or just simple commands, no messing with code) but none of them worked.

It might still be that I have to install drivers, but I'm not sure anymore. All I know is that I can't seem to find a site that has the drivers for Linux on it.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get this card to work?

chessnerd
April 9th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm still having a problem with this. I checked out a couple of Linux books from the library a week ago (Linux for Dummies and The Official Ubuntu Book) and tried the solutions outlined in both of them, neither one worked.

The card worked on Windows, so I know it's not defective. I've read online that other people have used it with Ubuntu (most without having to do anything to get it to work), so I know it's compatible.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone had a similar problem that they were able to solve?

chessnerd
April 12th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Nevermind, I got the card to work.

I installed Xubuntu 8.10 to prepare for when I want to install 9.04 and when I tried the speakers after that sound magically came out of them and, after a bit of tweaking with the dials in the sound preferences, the sound quality is great. Go figure.

I don't have the problem anymore, but could someone tell me how the heck that fixed it? Does it have to do with the fact that card was set as the system default? Does it have to do with Xubuntu 8.04 not working with the card? What was wrong and how did upgrading fix it? Not vitally important, but I'd be interested in any theories.

Anyway, back to the tunes... :guitar: