PDA

View Full Version : I need to see past my Dell screen

swoll1980
April 9th, 2009, 01:58 AM
When I turn my computer on there's a Dell screen. If I hit pause/break it will freeze the boot, and stop the progress bar. Is there a way to see what the computer is doing here. A way to see verbose output?

matrixblue
April 9th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Check the BIOS for an option to disable quick boot

damis648
April 9th, 2009, 02:07 AM
When I turn my computer on there's a Dell screen. If I hit pause/break it will freeze the boot, and stop the progress bar. Is there a way to see what the computer is doing here. A way to see verbose output?

That's called POST. :popcorn:

Often in the BIOS settings there is an option to what you want to see during post, a splash or verbose/extra info. See if there is an option like that. :popcorn:

swoll1980
April 9th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Thanks guys. I turned the fast boot off. It boots slower, but still wont show me anything. There's no options for a splash in the setup menu. I've googled the crap out of this, but found nothing. Got any other ideas? A key combo maybe?

matrixblue
April 9th, 2009, 02:40 AM
What exactly are you looking for?

swoll1980
April 9th, 2009, 02:45 AM
What exactly are you looking for?

It's a home work assignment I'm supposed to watch the boot process, and write down my observations. The POST, and other such things.

Skripka
April 9th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks guys. I turned the fast boot off. It boots slower, but still wont show me anything. There's no options for a splash in the setup menu. I've googled the crap out of this, but found nothing. Got any other ideas? A key combo maybe?

Who wrote the BIOS?

Every BIOS I've ever come across has an option to hide the boot logo/splash--they might call it different, but every BIOS I've seen at all recently can do that...

tjwoosta
April 9th, 2009, 02:56 AM
i dont know if this is what you want, but you can watch the boot process of ubuntu if you edit your grub file to show a verbose output instead of the bootsplash

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

down toward the bottom of the file you will see your ubuntu entries

(they will look similar to this, except for ubuntu)

title Arch Linux
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/9a7a347f-83cc-455d-a4d8-3dadce1e52d0 ro vga=791 splash=silent
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

see where it says splash=silent

change it to say splash=verbose or nosplash

so it will look like this

title Arch Linux
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/9a7a347f-83cc-455d-a4d8-3dadce1e52d0 ro vga=791 splash=verbose
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

matrixblue
April 9th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Oh I get it now. Back in the day the BIOS would show all sorts of info about connected hardware and memory testing et.

Nowadays computers try to be as non technical as possible and hide that info from the users.

I'd try searching a dell forum and if that doesn't work try searching youtube for a video of an older system booting.

FuturePilot
April 9th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Sometimes there's a certain key to press and it will actually switch it to verbose mode. I know one of my computers is like that.

swoll1980
April 9th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Who wrote the BIOS?

Every BIOS I've ever come across has an option to hide the boot logo/splash--they might call it different, but every BIOS I've seen at all recently can do that...

It doesn't say what kind of BIOS it is anywhere. It's version A05 of whatever BIOS is. I want to say it's a Phoenix, just because every other Dell I ever used had a Phoenix.

cariboo
April 9th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I'm closing this thread, as I'm sure part of the homework assignment, is figuring out how to disable the splash screen.

Jim