PDA

View Full Version : IN Progress: EUbuntu - E WM based Ubuntu

tombom62
April 9th, 2009, 12:15 AM
If this is in the wrong forum, can a mod please move it and PM me about where it was moved? Thanks.

Well, I like the E Window manager, and I think there should be a distro (Xfce based) for it. I'm making it now. Eubuntu.(You-Boon-Tu -- Love the name) And it will be a light, yet graphically pleasing Distro. I'd like to have some people use it and tell me what they think. I will have a release soon, hopefully. For now, I will make Intrepid and hardy releases. I will keep everyone up to date. Someone let me know if they like the idea.

chris4585
April 9th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Don't get your hopes up about actually using "Ubuntu" in your distro name.

tombom62
April 9th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Don't get your hopes up about actually using "Ubuntu" in your distro name.

I was afraid of that. That's part of why I brought this up. Why is that a problem? Copyrights or something?

cardinals_fan
April 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
If this is in the wrong forum, can a mod please move it and PM me about where it was moved? Thanks.

Well, I like the E Window manager, and I think there should be a distro (Xfce based) for it. I'm making it now. Eubuntu.(You-Boon-Tu -- Love the name) And it will be a light, yet graphically pleasing Distro. I'd like to have some people use it and tell me what they think. I will have a release soon, hopefully. For now, I will make Intrepid and hardy releases. I will keep everyone up to date. Someone let me know if they like the idea.
By the E WM, do you mean E17 or E16? Either way, Xfce shouldn't be necessary. And yes, the name Ubuntu is copyrighted and you probably won't be allowed to use it.

ddrichardson
April 9th, 2009, 12:47 AM
The trademark (http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy) statement says to stay away from prefixes to Ubuntu - so Ubuntu Enlightenment Edition would be fine. Derived works are permitted - its the trademark you need to clarify.

Contact Canonical Trademark (http://www.ubuntu.com/contact/trademark).

kk0sse54
April 9th, 2009, 12:48 AM
If we're talking about e17, http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ozos

tombom62
April 9th, 2009, 12:58 AM
E 16.
I can always change the name, out of curiosity, though, how did kubuntu and xubuntu come about legally?
I like it with Xfce (Or at least Xfce apps). It's more complete. At least, that's what I think. About OzOS. I didn't know about that. Is it bad to have 2 similar distros, or is it ok? After all, this is a version customised by me, so I'm sure it will be different.

.Maleficus.
April 9th, 2009, 01:01 AM
E 16.
I can always change the name, out of curiosity, though, how did kubuntu and xubuntu come about legally?
I like it with Xfce (Or at least Xfce apps). It's more complete. At least, that's what I think. About OzOS. I didn't know about that. Is it bad to have 2 similar distros, or is it ok? After all, this is a version customised by me, so I'm sure it will be different.
Kubuntu and Xubuntu are developed by Canonical, not community releases.

As far as having 2 similar distros goes, why not? Do what you think would make a good distro. Isn't OzOS E17 anyways? If you're using E16 then there you go :).

racerraul
April 9th, 2009, 01:08 AM
OZoS and OpenGEU are a joint effort. As I understand it, OZ is more geared towards developers.

I think they both use E17.

I would definitely like to check yours out... I was a fan of E16 and in search of it I found and currently use OpenGEU, which IMO is a great implementation of E17 on Ubuntu.

One thing that kind of bothers me is that freshmeat.org redisigned their web site and all those hundreds of E16 themes are gone... do you have another source for those E16 themes?

dragos240
April 9th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Wait, E as in enlightenment?

chucky chuckaluck
April 9th, 2009, 01:16 AM
cool! e16 is definitely the wave of the future, if you can get the name worked out.

tombom62
April 9th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Wait, E as in enlightenment?

Yes. E 16.

Kubuntu and Xubuntu are developed by Canonical, not community releases.

As far as having 2 similar distros goes, why not? Do what you think would make a good distro. Isn't OzOS E17 anyways? If you're using E16 then there you go .
Thank you for clearing that up, I will go ahead then.;)

cool! e16 is definitely the wave of the future, if you can get the name worked out.
Yeah, I love it. Simple, yet very cool looking and functional.