PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 First time and successful

Fenris_rising
April 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
It seems I lead a charmed life as far as Ubuntu goes :biggrin: When I installed Linux for the first time 11 months ago I had negligable trouble. In fact only needing to add;

pci=nomsi

To my boot string. 10 months later a minor change in my BIOS setup removed this requirement. Between then and now I have screwed it up, and had to re-install from scratch, but I have learned such lot in that time.

Now I dared to do what many people fear or wish they hadn't done........... Upgrade :shock: Why?????????

I haven't a clue :D . Well actually I have. Ubuntu, linux in general probably, is just so much fun. It positively screams at you to play and experiment.........It's like a drug!

So from my faithful 8.04 to 8.10 in one fell swoop. Disappointingly uneventful and less than 50 minutes :( . Everything works fine, my setup is still mine and so is my theming! It's great. I even have ATI catalyst out of the blue working fine. Intrepid seems very nice (previously tried it as a dual boot with a magazine disk and it kept locking up) and stable. Slightly quicker and one step closer to Jaunty :)

Yet I feel like a heel! OK it's still Ubuntu but it's not my faithful 8.04 which has led me so well into the happy land of Linux and yet it's under there.........I can even hear the Sirens singing 'tweak this tweak that.......Jauuuuuuuuunty is cominggggggggggg'

I'm doomedddddddddddddd :twisted: So much to learn and so little time!!!!!

regards

Fenris

PS. I will keep taking the tablets........honest