PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] please help! ubuntu installation on vaio

taghag
April 8th, 2009, 11:01 PM
hi,

I am an absolute beginner to Ubuntu (and Linux in general), but since my FW-series Sony Vaio with preinstalled Vista Home Premium keeps crashing plus I have a good processor and 4GB RAM ... I decided to try 64-bit Ubuntu. I am not sure as how to proceed with the installation if I desire to keep my Vista Recovery partition intact (but do not want to use Vista, just have the option to recover the licensed OS). I'd really appreciate a "for dummies" answer ................ BIG THANKS! and greetings from Slovenia!

tlois
April 8th, 2009, 11:56 PM
This guy gives great instructions with pics to show you how to install ubuntu on separate partition and keep vista. my stepdaughter used it and said it was easy to follow. It can be nerve wracking partitioning the first time, but it will be ok!

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/dualboot

btw, when you decide to install, choose the install ubuntu option rather than the try it one.

taghag
April 9th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks, but the thing is - I do not want dual boot, I do not want Vista - all I want is a chance to reinstall it, that is keep my recovery partition and be able to boot from it. Any ideas?

tlois
April 9th, 2009, 01:46 AM
You will probably want to use gparted to delete the windows partition and keep the recovery partition. You still need your windows recovery cds i think if you need to recover it. Gparted can run live. Then when you go to install Ubuntu you will see your small recovery segment and keep it.

However, I would advise that if this is really your first foray into Linux, you may want to keep windows on a small partition, as you may come across things at first that frustrate you, such as programs that you are used to, etc. You can get rid of Windows later.

taghag
April 9th, 2009, 01:35 PM
thanks, tlois. I suppose that's what I'll do - keep Vista on a small partition til I know more and find my way around Ubuntu.

Nardone
April 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I am a big Linux fan. I use to feel the same way about Microsoft. Vista isn't the greatest Operating system. I believe you should duel boot. My reason is, there is a lot to Ubuntu, commands wise. If you are new to Linux, you will have a lot of problems. It is ok if you have a dual boot. My reason for a duel boot is that, you can do your everyday work on your Vista/Xp partition, and you can learn about ubuntu on the other. It will help you out in the long run?

taghag
April 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
yeah, thanks. btw, here I am. installed everything and it's working smoothly. am using Ubuntu as we speak.

upchucky
April 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM
yeah, thanks. btw, here I am. installed everything and it's working smoothly. am using Ubuntu as we speak.

nothing like a leap of faith to make me smile

since this is a new install, and if you have not done this on the original setup, you can easily create a separate partition for home, this ensure you can keep all your files and setting intact as you play with Linux.

Separate Home Partiton

after ubuntu is already installed

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

tlois
April 9th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Glad you got it going. I remember how bummed out I was to discover that I couldn't use Napster to Go. Leaving Bill a sliver of the drive is not so bad I guess- he can live in the efficiency above the garage, while Ubuntu gets the palatial estate.