PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 32bit to 64bit?

Psychopump
April 8th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hello all,

Is there ANY way to upgrade from 32bit intrepid to 64bit intrepid/jaunty without reinstalling?

If not, is there any way to reinstall without losing all my data/preferences, and maintaining the fact that all my hardware was supported out of the box?

(I have a single partition HD)

taurus
April 8th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I don't believe there is a way to go from i686 to x86_64 without reinstalling. There are a few options you can do. You can resize your harddrive (from Ubuntu LiveCD) to create a separate /home. Then, all your personal files and settings would be fine when you reinstall or upgrade it later.

Otherwise, it's best to back up those files/settings and reinstall x86_64. Maybe you should consider creating a separate /home partition if you reinstall.

Psychopump
April 8th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the advice!
I suppose the next issue would be: Is it worth it?

durand
April 8th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I've recently started using Ubuntu 64 bit. It's kinda hard to answer that question because when I first installed it, it was amazingly fast but as I continue to use it, it just feels the same as Ubuntu 32 bit. If you plan on using more than about 3 gb of memory, It might be handy to install 64 bit, it is the future after all but to me, it hasn't really changed all that much.