PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu accuses Microsoft of Linux netbook FUD

I-75
April 8th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Ubuntu accuses Microsoft of Linux netbook FUD

http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntu_accuses_microsoft_of_linux_netbook_fud

When Microsoft employee, Brandon LeBlanc announced that Microsoft ruled the netbook world, he was exaggerating, shall we say, just a wee bit. I was going to stomp on him but Chris Kenyon of Canonical, the business that stands behind Ubuntu, beat me to it.

LaBlanc opened by claiming that almost all netbooks sold today are sold with Windows. Well, no, not really. The numbers LaBlanc cites are from NPD's sales survey. NPD focuses on brick-and-mortar U.S. sales, not overall sales. Notice how many Linux systems you see at Best Buy? NPD numbers say a lot more about retail channel sales than it does over-all sales. Besides, as Canonical's director of business development Kenyon wrote, "However here is an interesting fact--when customers are offered choice on equally well-engineered computers around a third will select Ubuntu over XP."

Kenyon was talking about the Dell Mini 9, one of the best netbooks out there. Besides, as Jay Lyman an analyst at The 451 Group points out there are other problems with NPD's numbers when you take them out of their U.S. retail context. First, the United States only has about 20% of the netbook market, and, second, the global market is still 30% Linux. I wouldn't start the victory parade quite yet if I were Microsoft.

bakedbeans4life
April 8th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Ubuntu accuses Microsoft of Linux netbook FUD

http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntu_accuses_microsoft_of_linux_netbook_fud

When Microsoft employee, Brandon LeBlanc announced that Microsoft ruled the netbook world, he was exaggerating, shall we say, just a wee bit. I was going to stomp on him but Chris Kenyon of Canonical, the business that stands behind Ubuntu, beat me to it.

LaBlanc opened by claiming that almost all netbooks sold today are sold with Windows. Well, no, not really. The numbers LaBlanc cites are from NPD's sales survey. NPD focuses on brick-and-mortar U.S. sales, not overall sales. Notice how many Linux systems you see at Best Buy? NPD numbers say a lot more about retail channel sales than it does over-all sales. Besides, as Canonical's director of business development Kenyon wrote, "However here is an interesting fact--when customers are offered choice on equally well-engineered computers around a third will select Ubuntu over XP."

Kenyon was talking about the Dell Mini 9, one of the best netbooks out there. Besides, as Jay Lyman an analyst at The 451 Group points out there are other problems with NPD's numbers when you take them out of their U.S. retail context. First, the United States only has about 20% of the netbook market, and, second, the global market is still 30% Linux. I wouldn't start the victory parade quite yet if I were Microsoft.

Be careful what you say round here. The word of Microsoft is sacrosanct. To criticise them is to utter all manner of blasphemies and bring evil tidings upon you and your kin.

I suppose that, even though it was a member of Canonical that spoke out, the cherry-picked statistics will be taken as a matter of fact by many of those present on the forum. Feel that Microsoft lurve. **cue Barry White soundtrack**

I-75
April 8th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Be careful what you say round here. The word of Microsoft is sacrosanct. To criticise them is to utter all manner of blasphemies and bring evil tidings upon you and your kin.

I suppose that, even though it was a member of Canonical that spoke out, the cherry-picked statistics will be taken as a matter of fact by many of those present on the forum. Feel that Microsoft lurve. **cue Barry White soundtrack**

Yes,...this is about Ubuntu and a member of Canonical that made me post this...otherwise I would not have gave it a second glance...

cardinals_fan
April 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM

It's valid criticism. Can't see anything wrong with that :)

Those statistics sounded pretty screwed up to me from the start. I can't say I'm surprised.

Sealbhach
April 8th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Good to see someone speaking up for GNU/Linux... not that most of the world would even notice.

I asked a colleague at work what kind of laptop did she have and she said "I don't know, a big silver one?". A friend had brought her along to the store and picked one out for her.

swoll1980
April 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM
It's valid criticism. Can't see anything wrong with that :)

I'm sure someone will find something wrong with it.

Sealbhach
April 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I'm sure someone will find something wrong with it.

It's OK if you don't use $ in the holy name.

hanzomon4
April 8th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Bow down you lowly Linux dogs!!!! j/k

Jaunty rocks on my macbook pro by the way

gn2
April 9th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I asked a colleague at work what kind of laptop did she have and she said "I don't know, a big silver one?".

Good choice, the black ones show up fingerprints something awful.

bolax
April 9th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I dont think it is a criticism by Canonical, just more like pointing out the reality and deffo the smell of FUD :lolflag: if it's seen for what it is

MikeTheC
April 9th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Feel that Microsoft lurve. **cue Barry White soundtrack**

I'm down with Barry White, yo, but I'm groovin' on Hot Chocolate's "Every 1's a Winner" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-GkwIRbLw8).

FaizanKazi
April 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Its great that people representing the Linux community can hold their own against Microsoft.

It is time we took a stand because with Microsoft there's no end to their bragging. I can see that they're trying hard, and honestly I like windows 7, couldn't do without it. But i also couldn't do without my Ubuntu which always saves my butt when i need it, and I think its presence in the market needs to be acknowledged for both personal and public reasons.

racerraul
April 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Kenyon also calls Microsoft on what he's polite to call an out-and-out lie. Microsoft claims that Canonical itself has said that its Linux netbooks are returned at a rate more than four times as high as Windows netbooks. No they're not. Kenyon wrote, "Continually repeating that we 'confirmed' a 4x return over XP when we did nothing of the sort is really not worthy of a great company like Microsoft."

Damn that's down right pathetic... pretty low.

On the other hand, such unprofessional tactics are a sign that MS is feeling threatened by the growth of Ubuntu...

Cool... I'd like nothing more than for MS to feel forced into lowering the cost of their OS. Its down right ridiculous...