PDA

View Full Version : "Computer Janitor"?

Pasdar
April 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Tried it for the first time today and all I got to say is roflmao. I thought this thing was just going to rearrange a few things and delete useless extras. It actually deleted a list Applications that I use, lol. They should call it "Random Application Deleter" instead. Who comes up with ideas for such useless Apps anyway? Good thing it didn't delete Wine, I actually spent time configuring that one.

Therion
April 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I think I've read at least a dozen horror stories about Computer Janitor. I don't know why it's still included in the default package list.

kevin11951
April 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I know! Look at what it thinks is "junk" on my computer...

(Please, no puns about something in that list being "junk")

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=109119&stc=1&d=1239222520

LowSky
April 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
just use the command, sudo apt-get clean

much safer

Newuser1111
April 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
It wants to remove Adobe Flash off my computer, even though Firefox almost always has Pandora Radio open in one of the tabs.

swoll1980
April 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM
This program helps you remove packages you Might not need anymore.
Kind of a huge maybe there... No?

Therion
April 8th, 2009, 09:40 PM
this program helps you remove packages you might not need anymore.
a
CITIZEN!

YOU WILL NOT QUESTION THE ABSOLUTE AUTHORITY OF UBUNTU!!

/bow down...

kevin11951
April 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM

Would help if there was a choice to ignore certain packages apon request...

Sealbhach
April 8th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I got a few things removed that I had preferred to keep. It seems pretty rudimentary at present. Best thing might be to remove it from the menu for the time being, I sure hope they don't release it.

smbm
April 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Would help if there was a choice to ignore certain packages apon request...

I was under the impression that once you've unchecked them once they don't come up next time you run it.

swoll1980
April 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM
a
CITIZEN!

YOU WILL NOT QUESTION THE ABSOLUTE AUTHORITY OF UBUNTU!!

/bow down...

*bows down*

23meg
April 9th, 2009, 12:30 AM
There's a bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/computer-janitor/+bug/285746) about this already.

Newuser1111
April 9th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Tried it for the first time today and all I got to say is roflmao. I thought this thing was just going to rearrange a few things and delete useless extras. It actually deleted a list Applications that I use, lol. They should call it "Random Application Deleter" instead. Who comes up with ideas for such useless Apps anyway? Good thing it didn't delete Wine, I actually spent time configuring that one.Computer Janitor should delete itself. (or just get fixed)

speedwell68
April 9th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I didn't even know it existed until this thread. Personally I'll stick to managing my computer myself. I have not used it, but the concept seems very Windows.

mkvnmtr
April 9th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I ran 9.04 for a while until I sold the computer it was on. I never tried that because I have never had a problem with unwanted programs or leftovers. Guess I am glad I didn't . Another package to uninstall completely when I upgrade. The time I spend searching and deleting stuff I don't want or use after an install is well spent. That said this might be a program that develops into something useful for some users.

SomeGuyDude
April 9th, 2009, 01:16 AM

Um, and why in the world would it be written to flag things like flash and web browsers? Because it decided you don't REALLY need it, you can get by with another browser?

By this logic it could just list every single package on the system. Hey, you might not need all of them! :lolflag:

MikeTheC
April 9th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Oh, that's what this thread is about.

I thought you were talking about being a computer tech (which is basically the same thing)... I used to do that, but gave it up.

I hope I never have to fix another person's computer ever again (especially if it's running Windows).

Stupendoussteve
April 9th, 2009, 02:40 AM
just use the command, sudo apt-get clean

much safer

This does something completely different... read the apt-get manpage. Maybe it's closer to autoremove, which could be useful for one who likes to keep their system clean.

Another program that searches for orphaned packages, deborphan, will also show you things you have manually installed, because they are "orphans" as they are not required by some other package.

swoll1980
April 9th, 2009, 02:42 AM
They should change the name from Computer Janitor to Program Bandit

Lunx
April 9th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this is a dud. According to another thread I was reading here somewhere, it's apparently supposed to make it easier for newbies to keep their system tidy. I can already see the titles of threads that will flood in

"Used computer Janitor and ...... disappeared, help"
"Computor Janitor ate my..."
"Where did my xyz applicaction go"?

I'm all for making 'puters easier to use, but when an app that powerful is put in a place where it's easily accessable, and comes with no documentation on how it works, bound to end in tears

matrixblue
April 9th, 2009, 02:48 AM
They should change the name from Computer Janitor to Program Bandit

LOL! The first I ran that I thought it was cleaning up useless extra files til I tried to run Virtualbox afterward. It annoyed me because by the time I realised what it had done I was away from my internet connection so I could re-download it.

I fail to see the point of that application. The name suggests that it's hard drive cleaning utility not an un-installer.

Skripka
April 9th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Tried it for the first time today and all I got to say is roflmao. I thought this thing was just going to rearrange a few things and delete useless extras. It actually deleted a list Applications that I use, lol. They should call it "Random Application Deleter" instead. Who comes up with ideas for such useless Apps anyway? Good thing it didn't delete Wine, I actually spent time configuring that one.

I think the people who wrote that software probably don't even know what packages they have on their own computer. Srsly, who needs such a software?...well, who needs a software like this-that actually works as intended/advertised?

3rdalbum
April 9th, 2009, 04:31 AM
From the list of things that kevin11951 was asked to delete, it looks like it's a GUI frontend to "vrms".

kevin11951
April 9th, 2009, 04:58 AM
From the list of things that kevin11951 was asked to delete, it looks like it's a GUI frontend to "vrms".

:lolflag: So True...

MaxIBoy
April 9th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I didn't even know it existed until this thread. Personally I'll stick to managing my computer myself. I have not used it, but the concept seems very Windows.If there's anything I hate, it's software that tries to be smarter than it should.

Pasdar
April 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM
The main problem is that the application does not warn you that this is an application for uninstalling/deleting applications it thinks are obsolete or you don't use. I'm not on my Ubuntu right now, but the warning I got (confirmation window popped up) was something like this: "Warning, this might make some of your application not function properly".
So I thought this is just a disclaimer, because it is possible that the cleaner makes some files corrupt in its process of cleaning.

After the experience I got from using it I think it should say: "WARNING: You are about to completely erase the listed applications from your system. Any other applications that depend on the listed programs will be rendered useless. Are you sure you want to continue?"

If you confirm the previous one another window should pop up: "Are you very very sure about this?"

If yes, another window should pop up saying: "I don't think you're sure about this. Think about it and come back again. This application will now close, click OK."

:lolflag:

billgoldberg
April 9th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Useless junk program.

Keeping your install healthy by hand is easy and safer.

(actually it's not really needed at all)

Therion
April 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
... I think it should say: "WARNING: You are about to completely erase the listed applications from your system. Any other applications that depend on the listed programs will be rendered useless. Are you sure you want to continue?"... "Are you very very sure about this?"... If yes, another window should pop up saying:"I don't think you're sure about this. Think about it and come back again. This application will now close, click OK."

It appears that Computer Janitor is another fine product of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

juancarlospaco
April 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I dont see something bad to have a GUI to "sudo apt-get autoremove"

Skripka
April 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
It appears that Computer Janitor is another fine product of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Now THAT made me LOL. :lolflag:

Therion
April 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I dont see something bad to have a GUI to "sudo apt-get autoremove"If you want something like that try using QuickStart instead.

QuickStart cleans your system (safely!) and lots of other nifty stuff. Like what KIND of nifty stuff, I hear you asking...

Nifty stuff like:

1. Install the proper DVD & Codecs files so you can play a DVD in your drive using Totem, etc. (works with 7.04 / 7.10 / 8.04 /8.10 and 32-bit / 64-bit).
2. Back-up Your /home folders using TAR compression.
3. Back-up Your / folders using TAR compression.
4. Back-up Your Configuration files separately (fstab, device.map, mtab, menu.lst, and xorg.conf) using TAR compression.
5. Image your Ubuntu Operating System, Master Boot Record (MBR), and Partition Table.
6. Create a Custom Scheduled (Recurring) Back-up (daily, weekly, or monthly). You decide the exact date and time.
7. Create a Scheduled 1:1 Synchronized Back-Up of Selected Folders to Another Drive/Partition.
8. Restore Your System /home folders.
9. Restore Your / folders.
10. Restore Your configuration files.
11. Install some common applications we all use with one click of your mouse. Nice when you're starting from scratch (clean install).
12. House Cleaning (delete unnecessary files throughout your computer).
13. View or Edit Your Key Files (fstab, menu.lst, and xorg.conf).
14. Back-up Your Master Boot Record (MBR).
15. Back-up Your Microsoft Windows Partition (dual booters) While in Ubuntu.
16. Format Windows Partition in NTFS with gParted.
17. Restore Your Master Boot Record (MBR).
18. Restore Your Windows Back-Up While in Ubuntu. I've restored my Windows setup with all apps in less than 15 minutes. Nice!
19. Download Updates/Upgrades with a click of the mouse.

Where to get it: http://www.howtoforge.com/quickstart-the-swiss-army-knife-for-ubuntu-8.04-desktop

I've used QuickStart since Gutsy and QuickStart just plain works.