PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to install cli system from alternate install cd?

stairwayoflight
April 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hello,

I have been trying to install a cli system from the alternate install cd, as the ubuntu wiki suggests.

I am unable to install with the 9mb mini iso, because I need to log in on my browser before I have net access. So, I need to install from a cd with all the relevant packages available on it.

There is no "cli" option in the main menu, and pressing function keys show help screens, but none mention any command parameters to install only the base system.

FTR I am using the 8.10 version. Any pointers are appreciated.

Timothy

stairwayoflight
April 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM
It seems Debian has gone to great lengths to make installation of a vanilla configurable (ie. no X) system on netbooks and the like. I'm on Debian for now, but I may try UNR once I get my 64gb ssd...now to install the free minipcie connector sample Molex sent me...

Timothy

lisati
April 29th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Pressing F4 while the "Install Ubuntu" is highlighted should give you a few more options. On some disks, one of the options is to install a CLI system

stairwayoflight
May 24th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Yes, I thought so!

I believe previous debian install cd's (including Ubuntu's) booted to the console, and allowed you to reach one set of options or information, each with an Fn key. I just realized on the Jaunty alternate x86 cd, pressing F1 presents another bunch of options, each accessible with an Fn key. In other words, pressing F1 then F4 shows different information than just pressing F4 from the beginning, but this wasn't clear to me the first time round.

You are perfectly correct, F4 presents an option to install a command line system.

Regards,

Timothy ;)