PDA

View Full Version : If I were to sell cheap linux computers on ebay with ubuntu preinstalled

taseal
January 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Would I need permission from ubuntu/kubuntu to use their software?

Just curious :shrug:

xmastree
January 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
Nope.
And anyway, if it bothers you then give the software free but charge for your time installing it and setting it up.

ATAQ
January 4th, 2006, 03:50 AM
It even says on the Ubuntu CD's "Ubuntu is a Software Libre. You are legally entitled and encouraged to copy, share and redistribute this CD for yourself and friends. Share the spirit of Ubuntu!"

So that basically gives you the right to do what you want in handing out, well probably as long as its pre-installed on the systems Free-of-Charge.

Regards

th2
January 12th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Actually, you would in fact be able to sell as per the license agreement, the GNU General Public License, or GPL. It allows the passing out or selling copies of software.

franklee
January 21st, 2006, 06:28 AM
Actually, you would in fact be able to sell as per the license agreement, the GNU General Public License, or GPL. It allows the passing out or selling copies of software.
It would perhaps not be in the spirit of "Ubuntu" (the concept) to sell the software however (imo). I would think an appropriate thing to do would be to sell time and charge for labour. Not for Ubuntu.

*Thud*