PDA

View Full Version : Google PC with Google OS coming soon?

linbetwin
January 3rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/03/google_pc_claim/

Rumour has it (again) that Google is going to announce this Friday in Las Vegas the launch of a cheap(er?) PC running a Google OS and which will be sold by Wal-Mart. What do you think about this?

sapo
January 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
I will just belive when i see with my own eyes =x

dosed150
January 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
i wouldnt be surprised im guessing it would be linux based just because it would be a lot easier then making a whole new os

mstlyevil
January 3rd, 2006, 07:02 PM
I didn't vote because I am not going to go as far as to say that it will never happen but I just do not see the benefit for Google to rebrand it's own version of Linux to just **** off MSFT. You should add a possible but not probable choice to the poll.

JeffS
January 3rd, 2006, 07:26 PM
A Google OS/PC would not make much sense from a direct revenue standpoint for Google - it would be low margins and high manufacturing/support costs. But it would make sense from an advertising (their main source of revenue) standpoint, because it would mean more captive eyes. It would also make sense from the "big picture" standpoint in that it would mean, in the long run, fewer potential users of Windows, which would most certainly weaken Microsoft. Weakening a chief competitor, who has a track record of anti competitive hard ball tactics, and a competitor that's put a big targtet on your back (as MS has done with Google), is a very very good thing (for Google).

Thus, I see the rumor as being fairly believable and possible, and I really really really hope it comes true. :D

UbuWu
January 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
If it is going to happen, it will probably be some sort of thin client that relies on google's computing powers... That could mean a very cheap pc!

earobinson
January 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
I dont think its going to happen.... if it did it would be linux i hope. And yes I would dual boot if i could.

Unicast
January 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Well let's hope that if it is true they release Google Earth for linux too!

jc87
January 3rd, 2006, 08:01 PM
A)M$ is knowed for linking together all their services and products (using their current customers base in area A to get customers in area B).

B)M$ is trying to enter at the search engine market

C)Goggle is at the moment the search engine lord of the know ed universe

D)Goggle doesndoesn't want M$ beat them at the search market

E)So what may be the solution? maybe a special version of a Gnu/Linux distro (Goggle Not Unix , just kidding , Gnu´s not Unix , and the Linus with a X kernel) , designed to be only a simple basic stuff pc (office , mail , Internet browsing , etc... ) for non-geeky people , linked with all the goggle products and services , safe from spywares and virus , would it be very hard to make this happen for example with a modified versions of Ubuntu?

Is now that difficult to imagine Goggle entering at this market? just imagine how it will be like when M$ search engine appear at a side search bar at M$ office , M$ Mensager , M$ Hotmail , etc...

JeffS
January 3rd, 2006, 08:18 PM
I'd like this speculative "Google OS", if there's any modicum of thruth in it, to be Linux based. However, I see something that's BSD or Solaris based to be more likely, due to licensing. With BSD, there are no restrictions. With Solaris, they would likely have some sort of friendly licensing contract with Sun. This would also make sense in that Sun and Google have cozied up recently (only announcing the Java/OO.o/Google Toolbar co distribution deal, but with "more to come"). And in both cases, it will be possible to run Linux based software (already supported in BSD, and beginning to be supported with Solaris).

deNoobius
January 3rd, 2006, 08:27 PM
I seriously doubt that Google will get into the hardware business. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a web-based "OS"-like environment that you could log into, do your word processing, photo editing, or whatever, and then save your work on their servers.

Iandefor
January 3rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
If it's true, it oughtn't to be surprising- Google's been putting forth ads for people with experience in areas directly pertinent to OS design for a good long while now. Ah, yet more diversity to chip away just a little more at Microsoft!

Google's general mission is to organize the world's information; they're moving towards it all the time, and getting pretty rich from it, too. They're also succeeding admirably, in my opinion. They've got the text of entire books online, they provide access to online video content, not to mention images and web pages. They've got a system for organising and comparing products available online, and even for allowing us to communicate with one another. I've yet to see a price tag on a single one of these services.

This isn't to say we ought to bow down and worship the almighty G; but I'm quite pleased with the direction Google's moving, really. I think the real question is, what happens when they have the entire world dependent on their information-organizing skills? Oh well... we'll burn that bridge when we get there, eh?

taseal
January 4th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I was talking about this with a friend recently... we think google is gunna smack ms in the face with teaming up with linux and making one helluva linux based OS.... but I hope it'll be free, like most of their services....

briancurtin
January 4th, 2006, 05:29 AM
i dont think it would be BSD or solaris based, but thats just me. they have lots of linux experience out there and i think they would take advantage of that and build a solid system...IF this even becomes true at any point.

ive also noticed that on netcraft, the information for most of the google owned domains/subdomains have change from "linux" to "unknown." none of them are windows by the way

briancurtin
January 4th, 2006, 06:26 AM
we think google is gunna smack ms in the face with teaming up with linux
"linux" isnt something you can team up with

also, if/when this OS/system is released, will it stay in beta forever?

earobinson
January 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM
google has said no they arent doing it ... but it was left vague ... to say we arnt doing it on my own.... http://earobinson.blogspot.com/2006/01/google-denies-google-pc-reports.html

Lord Illidan
January 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM
In the article, while it says that there will be no Google Cube, it doesn't say anything about a Google OS.

I don't think it is very likely, but if it had to happen, I am imagining it to be a Linux distro, rebranded and with lots of Google tools.
Either that or a host of webservices put under one common banner.

earobinson
January 4th, 2006, 04:22 PM
In the article, while it says that there will be no Google Cube, it doesn't say anything about a Google OS.

I don't think it is very likely, but if it had to happen, I am imagining it to be a Linux distro, rebranded and with lots of Google tools.
Either that or a host of webservices put under one common banner.

If you read the OP it links to an artical that states
Google is planning to provide an own-brand Windows-less PC and sell the low-cost system through a partnership with retail giant Wal-Mart. The machine and/or the sales deal could be announced as early as this coming Friday.

Also if you read the artical I linked to It states.
Google has denied reports that it is working on a low-price personal computer or a "Google Cube" that would link up a user's PC, TV, set-top box and cell phone.

"We have many PC partners who serve their markets exceedingly well and we see no need to enter that market; we would rather partner with great companies," Google said in a statement.

So no google is not coming out with a google cube. But you they did not deny that they could be involved in a simmilar project.