PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation freezes due to initramfs

xelxel
April 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Hello!

I have been a loyal ubuntu user for a long time now, and decided i would get a bit experimental and install ubuntu 9.04. I downloaded unetbootin and the corresponding .iso file with said ubuntu version, and copied over everything to my USB memory stick (8GB). I have made sure all the files are there, but once i reboot and try to install ubuntu 9.04 it goes south.

I get the unetbootin screen, chose default, and then the loading bar of ubuntu shows up - the one for ubuntu 9.04. It will however not continue on from there. Insteads it keeps flashing, then i get some message of a module.dep file. The file or directory cannot be found. Below is a commandline with "Initramfs". Any typing i do is taken as commands, and since i'm still stuck in my windows thinking i can't make it past this stage.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
Of course i realise 9.04 is BETA currently, but i suspect the installation part should be pretty stable - or perhaps it's an errounous assumption on my part.

Anyway,

Thank you in advance!

//Erik

dandnsmith
April 8th, 2009, 11:51 AM
You haven't mentioned anything about the PC configuration - especially the RAM size and type.

I have this initramfs> prompt with a laptop which almost certainly doesn't have enough RAM (at 256MB).

You might get a bit more detail if you put nosplash instead of splash on the lines activating the kernel and initrd. It will be in an xxx.cfg file - detail depends on exactly what you did to make the usb.

xelxel
April 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
dandnsmith,

The laptop configuration is acer extensa 5420.
1.59Ghz AMD, with 4GB Ram and 160HD.
GPU is ATI, unfortunately, but since i dont play games
it doesnt matter much. It has so far always worked to run
ubuntu on this laptop.

I will return with the logg report.

xelxel
April 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
OK, i have no idea how to do that log thing, sorry :(

I downloaded unetbootin and installed it. Then dowloaded the Jaunty jackalope iso file. I formated the USB memory stick and tried ext2,ext3,FAT16 and FAT 32 filesystems.

Then i opened unetbootin, punched in the file path and it copied over files to the memory stick. As far as i can see, it went without any glitches. Except for when trying to install ubuntu 9.04.

I had to rename ISOLINUX to SYSLINUX when doing this process for Ubuntu 8, and then it worked. But that tactic does not appear to be working this case.

xelxel
April 8th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Bump

Cerberus108
April 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Same problem with me, although it seems to happen only on my newer machine, an AMD/ATI one, with Phenom processor, and a 780 chipset by AMD. In my older computer, AMD Sempron, GeForce 4200, blah blah, it seems to work, with the same usb stick, and obviously with the same contents.

I have no clue why this happens, in my older computer it didn't tell me about that modules.dep thing..