PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install to flash drive

kazulk
April 8th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I want to Install Ubuntu 8.10 to a 32gb flash drive I have. I want to do an actual install, not the live session thing. Can someone help me with this.

EXCiD3
April 8th, 2009, 06:21 AM
This shows you how to make a Ubuntu flash drive with persistent changes: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-810-persistent-flash-drive-install-from-live-cd/

Gresley
April 8th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Not sure that the persistent install gets over your issue with the live session.

You can do a full linux install to the stick from the cd. Remove your hard drive, plug in the empty usb, then do a full install to the usb from the live cd.

Kevbert
April 8th, 2009, 09:32 AM
The pendrivelinux persistent install is better than a full install as the USB drive is not continually written to (unlike a normal install to a hard disk which is 'on the fly'). All data can be saved to the USB drive but is normally saved at the end of the session. If you use the USB drive as if it was a hard disk the life of the drive is rapidly reduced (I've lost two drives by this method and eventually you'll be no longer able to read and write to them).

kazulk
April 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I have tried what gresly said, and that doesn't work, When grub tries to load ubuntu it comes up with an error. Ill Try the persistant, also if I do that way, will I be able to install drivers to it and apps?

tlois
April 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Use Unetbootin to install to flash drive (you can use the ISO you already downloaded, so you don't have to do that again) and then follow these instructions. It works great and is easy. On the step that says unzip to flash, just drag the package on the drive and unzip there.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/diskimg/readme.txt

that link shows you how t make a unetbootin install persistent

kazulk
April 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM
well the unetbootin thing is just a live thing, and thats not what I want, I want to be able to install apps and drivers to it.

Khanon
April 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Are you getting the "Error 21" error? Something I noted when I tried this exact same thing is that after you install 8.10 to your USB drive or Flash drive, you need to reset the computer, go into BIOS, go to Advanced Features, check your boot sequence, and make sure that your hdd is the first or second device and that the usb/flash drive is after it. If you see it in the list here, then it's otherwise fine.

Make sure it's in the slot when you boot up.

Such a simple thing, but it's what I had to do to get Kubuntu to boot from restart on my usb stick without Grub erroring on me.

kazulk
April 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
ok I did the persistant install, I read on a review of persistant installs that there is a command for syslinux to speed up the bootup, change it from -sf to -f or something like that, but the person didnt tell how, anyone know what that is about and how to do it?

Gresley
April 8th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Kevbert is quite right on the full install, it will destroy the usb eventually by writing to it too often, the persistent live install gets around this and allows apps to be installed. I've not yet successfully managed to install any proprietary drivers to the persistent install.

Any help how to achieve this is hugely welcome.

tlois
April 8th, 2009, 10:32 PM
that link shows you how to make unetbootin persistent.

kazulk
April 9th, 2009, 01:40 AM
well proprietary drivers work for my 98gtx+ssc, also idk if it has anything to do with my bios but it doesnt always want to boot from the usb, like I cant do a restart and boot from it, I have to completely shut it down and do a cold boot