PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wirless doesn't work after installation of 8.10

felicat
April 8th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Dear, it was working in 8.04 but now it's not.
the icon of internet connection sometime is gone (don't know why, just it's gone itself from the menu bar)
since then, i have been trying to re-install 8.10 again (my previous 8.10 installation was from a disc packed with my brand new netbook manufacturer. in fact, i thought the disc was 8.04 but after installed and i booted from re-start, it prompted me that it's ubuntu 8.10 kernel... stuff)
my current status is, I got a DVD-RW to burn the 8.10 iso (d/w directly from ubuntu rather than using manaufacturer's disc) but I found the disc does not boot up from re-starting. I have selected the boot priority to CD/DVD-ROM first.
I read a post from a guy's blog. He said iso burnt image may cause some problem in booting-up installation.

'Note: I've heard of problems arising from using CD-RW's. Try using standard CD-R's instead. You shouldn't be needing to rewrite to the disk anyways.' <-- quoted from the guy.

So, guys, do I need to get a new DVD disc to burn ubuntu iso rather than DVD-RW?
second, do you guys think I will get back my wireless back after re-installation? do I need to re-configure anything in order to make it work?
third, i wonder what is the 'Install' icon about on the desktop?
see picture below
http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/computers/ubuntu-8.10-effects.jpg
I think I've installed Linux, then what does this 'install' do with me? I clicked it to try and it prompted me to install, what does it install actually? I worked through all those steps and I found I have 2 Ubuntu systems on my HDD now! >_< how can I remove it into 1?
It's quite urgent to resolve all the above stuff coz my netbook is still in 7-days exchange period. I am not sure whether it's due to driver problem or network card problem.
PLEASE HELP!!!
APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!

tlois
April 8th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Can you try the latest 9.04 beta? It supports some of my wireless cards that were not supported before.

The install icon on your desktop- are you running it from live cd? Once installed, you should not have that on your desktop. Did you take the cd out before you restarted?

felicat
April 8th, 2009, 06:27 AM
No. didn't take out the disc, but the DVD-ROM is attached via USB (external one).