PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch

Newuser1111
April 8th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I know Ubuntu doesn't have iTunes, so how do I sync or put stuff on it?
It's a iPod Touch 2G with 2.2.1 jailbroken.

jdong
April 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
The new hash in firmware 2.2.x makes it more or less impossible as of now:

http://matt.colyer.name/projects/iphone-linux/index.php?title=Hash

The iPhone and iPod Touch are the only devices to use this new hash format; other devices still accept the "old" hash method.

Newuser1111
April 8th, 2009, 04:51 AM
So I can't?

jdong
April 8th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Not at this time, unfortunately.

Giant Speck
April 8th, 2009, 04:54 AM
You could try looking at this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone

zmjjmz
April 8th, 2009, 06:17 AM
You could put the files on there using ssh and then use an alternative player to play the music.

Ocxic
April 8th, 2009, 06:57 AM
install windows in virtualbox and sync with itunes, thats what i do and it work great

speedwell68
April 8th, 2009, 08:56 AM
The fact I have to use iTunes is what is putting me off buying one of these. A lot of my friends have them and I have to say they are very impressive, but I will be need it to be accessable from my netbook and that struggles to run Virtualbox.

xir_
April 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Virtualbox now works great at doing this. It's not ideal but its way better than the old ssh via aramock.

Im even going to try and jailbreak my iphone via virtual box for fun at some point.

Newuser1111
April 9th, 2009, 04:54 AM
install windows in virtualbox and sync with itunes, thats what i do and it work greatInstead of VirtualBox, I could just use my other laptop which is running XP.

JECHO
April 9th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Virtualbox now works great at doing this. It's not ideal but its way better than the old ssh via aramock.

Im even going to try and jailbreak my iphone via virtual box for fun at some point.

now-a-days jailbreaking an iphone (even with the latest firmware 2.2.1) is unbelievably easy. To save you the hassle of finding the software to do it... here (http://www.quickpwn.com/downloads) is a link. ALL you need is to DL QuickPwn for Windows or for a Mac (whichever you prefer), Plug in your phone, run the executable and follow the instructions. It takes less than 3 minutes. lol

I remember the good old days of iphone jailbreaking when you actually had to know a little bit about computers in order to do it :rolleyes:

jdong
April 9th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Instead of VirtualBox, I could just use my other laptop which is running XP.

I personally sync my iPod Touch and now my iPhone with one of my OS X running systems (I have two Apple machines that boot OS X, Ubuntu, along with a few other OSes)

IMO one of the advantages of having multiple OS'es is that one is good at doing something that the others are not -- and syncing iPods might just be one of those things.

If you don't have a Windows machine or the disk space to maintain one, that's one thing, but I see far too many people going through an insane amount of time to force product X on OS Y when they could just dual boot or virtualize another OS that gets the job done. I guess we all need something to keep us entertained, meh :)