PDA

View Full Version : Favourite BitTorrent client?

Christmas
April 8th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Me again, with another poll, about BitTorrent clients this time. What application(s) do you use as a BitTorrent client? For me it has to be KTorrent, since I am a KDE user and I also find it the most easy to use and powerful in the same time. And I love the Search plugin, which allows to search on various torrent sites directly from within KTorrent.

dragos240
April 8th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Transmission.

RiceMonster
April 8th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Deluge. It's straight forward and works well.

Mehall
April 8th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Deluge or rTorrent

Or, if I'm running WINE already on the machine, uTorrent.

uTorrent is THE torrent client

I've used kTorrent a fair bit though, not a bad app

smartboyathome
April 8th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Transmission. It is simple, and it works. I don't need anything special.

FuturePilot
April 8th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Deluge FTW. One thing I like about it is that I can run the daemon on my server and connect to it right through the gtk interface and control it just as if it were running locally.

|Mitch|
April 8th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Deluge

kk0sse54
April 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Deluge seems to work for me although I also use ktorrent in gentoo

RedSingularity
April 8th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Deluge!!

happysmileman
April 8th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I have rtorrent running in a screen session on laptop.
I ssh to it to add torrents, and sftp them to this computer (well, external hard drive) when they're done.

KTorrent seems to eat my memory and/or CPU (Can't actually remember which) if I leave it too long, but I haven't used it in a while so that might be fixed now.

Redundant Username
April 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM
μTorrent under WINE. I haven't tried any native bittorents other than Transmission, which is serverely limited.

kk0sse54
April 8th, 2009, 02:25 AM
μTorrent under WINE. I haven't tried any native bittorents other than Transmission, which is serverely limited.

I love utorrent but I wouldn't install wine just for that.

Mehall
April 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I love utorrent but I wouldn't install wine just for that.

As I said above, if I'm already running WINE, I install uTorrent

Though i have WINE on this machine, and don't have uTorrent 0.o

callie510
April 8th, 2009, 02:39 AM
My favorite is utorrent, which I really really really really wish existed on ubuntu :( I use Deluge when I'm booted into Linux, but utorrent is simpler and cleaner and easier to handle.

RiceMonster
April 8th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Deluge FTW. One think I like about it is that I can run the daemon on my server and connect to it right through the gtk interface and control it just as if it were running locally.

I've been contemplating playing around with the daemon feature. Sounds good, because then I won't have to avoid killing X because I don't want to stop my downloading/seeding.

gnomeuser
April 8th, 2009, 03:22 AM
My favorite is Monsoon, the interface and featureset isn't perfect but it has by far the nicest developer and the backend library has some of the most advanced features of any bittorrent implementation.

The backend also allows for things like dbus interaction so you can integrate bittorrent download capability into your applications such as Banshee which is where I think we need to go instead of having separate download clients based on the protocol used.. just try to think about that for a second, the equavilant is to have a separate full application for each document format. This is one of those poor design choices everyone seems to make as technology advances, kinda like standalone cd burning applications intead of a framework for handling media with widgets for integration.

Rokurosv
April 8th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I think Transmission is the best BT client out there, followed by KTorrent

BazookaAce
April 8th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Transmission :guitar:

Newuser1111
April 8th, 2009, 04:08 AM
µTorrent, I use it on my other Acer laptop running Windows XP. My Compaq laptop can't do torrents very well.

PurposeOfReason
April 8th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Torrentflux with transmission-cli.

Bios Element
April 8th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Deluge rocks!

kpkeerthi
April 8th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I use Deluge even though I'm on KDE4. There is no need for fancy UI since my torrents usually run in the background without any manual intervention. deluge daemon is all I need. Unlike KTorrent, Deluge honors Queue settings properly.

sujoy
April 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM
rtorrent. does the job and stays quiet, just the way i like it.
rtorrent + screen == win!

CrazyArcher
April 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM
uTorrent, since I'm downloading all the torrents from my Windows machine.

Ticketoride
April 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Linux ... KTorrent
Windows ... uTorrent

adamlau
April 8th, 2009, 09:42 AM
aria2 w/o a doubt.

willywonder86
April 8th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Deluge although it seems to hog network bandwidth

itreius
April 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM
µTorrent

digital_sc4rz
April 9th, 2009, 12:13 AM
uTorrent with WINE :cool:

MichaelRX8
April 9th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Just tried Deluge on all the recommendations posted on here...very impressed. think I found my new torrent client, thanks all.

wolfen69
April 9th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Transmission. It is simple, and it works. I don't need anything special.

same here. it is actually more than adequate for me. heck, it even has a built in blocklist importer. sometimes less is more.

donovan1983
April 9th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Transmission was my favourite on Mac OS X and I'm perfectly happy that it's the default in Ubuntu. It's simple, easy to use, and gets the job done. No reason for me to use anything else.

woodbj
April 9th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Deluge or utorrent are my favourites

sekinto
April 9th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Deluge.

digital_sc4rz
April 10th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I'm gonna give Deluge a try :) See if i like it myself :p

blueshiftoverwatch
April 10th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Way back in the day I used to use BitTornado and really liked it. But now-a-days it's a dead project as far as I know. Also the fact that each torrent must be open in it's own window instead of being put into a list like every other modern BitTorrent client I've heard of is a turn off.

Then I switched to Azureus and used it for awhile. But after they started with the whole Vuze content delivery thing the software seemed to get really bloated so I stopped using it. It did have a lot of features but most of them I never used. I only ever used it to upload a torrent one time.

Now I use Transmission on my Linux and Mac OSX boxes. I do have a Windows partition but I hardly ever use it. But if I did run Windows more than I do I'd wish that there was an official Transmission port. It's a great client and Windows users should be able to run it as well.

MasterNetra
April 10th, 2009, 05:06 AM
+1 for Deluge. I've had better performance from it then from utorrent even when running utorrent natively in windows! (By performance i mean how quick the downloads start and run essentially, granted a large part of the download speed is based on the transfer speed from your end and the file's end. but meh.) And it allows you to force encryption on both outbound and inbound portions of the bit stream. :) Where is utorrent from what I've seen only does outbound I think.

doorknob60
April 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM
1. Ktorrent
2. Deluge
3. uTorrent (Windows only)
4. Anything else

jelle_
April 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM
ktorrent. it works the same as utorrent, my bittorrent client on windows.

digital_sc4rz
April 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah i used BitTornado way back in the day i liked it to

Way back in the day I used to use BitTornado and really liked it. But now-a-days it's a dead project as far as I know. Also the fact that each torrent must be open in it's own window instead of being put into a list like every other modern BitTorrent client I've heard of is a turn off.

Then I switched to Azureus and used it for awhile. But after they started with the whole Vuze content delivery thing the software seemed to get really bloated so I stopped using it. It did have a lot of features but most of them I never used. I only ever used it to upload a torrent one time.

Now I use Transmission on my Linux and Mac OSX boxes. I do have a Windows partition but I hardly ever use it. But if I did run Windows more than I do I'd wish that there was an official Transmission port. It's a great client and Windows users should be able to run it as well.

Agent.Logic_
April 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
uTorrent on WINE for me. I'm so used to it, and its lightweight and meets my torrent requirements. :D

rev0lv3r
June 29th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I like transmission because of cool things like this
http://code.google.com/p/transdroid/

magmon
June 29th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I use an add on for firefox called firetorrent. It directly downloads the files instead of downloading a torrent file then moving it to a torrent client.

Pogeymanz
June 29th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Man, I wish I was into torrenting when I still ran Windows just so I could know the wonder that is uTorrent.

*I know I could install it in Wine just to see it, but I will still prefer a native client, so it seems pointless*

Anyway, I choose Deluge. It seems a little more feature-rich than Transmission. I have to admit that I have never tried any other BT clients.

LookTJ
June 29th, 2009, 11:42 PM
My favorite BitTorrent on Linux is rtorrent, while on Windows being uTorrent.

Hyper Tails
June 29th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I use bitcomet

My friend showed me it and it's awesome!!

paul_be
June 29th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I used vuse in windows, now I just use Transmission. Simple is better:)

rev0lv3r
June 30th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I used vuse in windows, now I just use Transmission. Simple is better:)

By simple you mean it's got a clean and slick interface
It has most of the features any torrenter would want to use

The only problem is that the versions are usually out of date to the repos, easier and quicker to just use svn ...

Lacrocivious Acrophosist
June 30th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Transmission.

From October 2003 I used ncurses TheShadowsClient btlaunchmanycurses.py because it could handle multiple torrents with aplomb, was robust, and ran on older hardware.

Somewhere around build r141 (current build is r8759) I stumbled across Transsmission, and I've been following it since via its development path. Within a few months, I no longer had any need to run what is now known as BitTornado.

Transmission is robust, very tight, cross platform (I use it on linux and OS X, and there is a .net client though I no longer use WinOS for personal stuff), and stays out of my way. Resource use is negligible, and *far* less than Deluge. The project developers have maintained an exemplary focus upon doing one job well, rejecting kitchen-sink disease.

Best of all, Transmission has a daemon that can run on almost anything -- popular among embedded app devs -- and can be managed either through a quite complete webui, or a new Qt client the project currently calls qtr, built separately but part of the svn checkout. Qtr also runs standalone, like the GTK+ client.

dtoronto
June 30th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Transmission hands down...then again I haven't seriously tried too many others

Tipped OuT
June 30th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Where is the uTorrent option? :???:

You have all these other unknown clients, but not uTorrent, come on... :p

Phreaker
June 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
uTorrent

Waiting for a native client...

itreius
June 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
uTorrent, but ever since Transmission reached 1.41, I'm using it as my default client on Ubuntu. Prior to that, I experienced some weird download speed issues (might have been just incorrect read-outs, whatever), now it's all right. Still prefer uTorrent's interface and the way it handles some things, but at least I'm not dependant on Wine anymore.

binbash
June 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM
deluge

evermooingcow
June 30th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Recently settled on rtorrent.

The only thing I didn't like about rtorrent was that it didn't have a sophisticated scheduler capable of running N torrents at any given time while taking into account dead/slow torrents and adjusting N and/or torrent priorities as appropriate.

Adding 20-30 new torrents into the client as I typically do and having them all start at once would quickly overload my crap router.

I would limit to running deluge with 8 concurrent downloads which worked fairly well.

Recently though I built myself a PC to use as a router which eliminated my router limitation issue. Now I can easily handle thousands of concurrent connections so I went back to using rtorrent.

Deluge is nice with the headless backend and GUI front end feature but I found it flaky and I coudln't ever quite get it fully working. rtorrent on the other hand conveniently uses standard SSH/screen for administration.