PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How is compatibility with the HP DV6T Series?

Sarai the Geek
April 7th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I've googled it and run forum searches, etc, but haven't had much luck getting answers. My current laptop, as much as I love it dearly, seems to be on the downhill slide, and, as I've learned, it's often cheaper to just buy a new one then deal with repairs. So, I'm looking at replacements- think of it as a preemptive measure.

I like the HP dv6t series- it's got the features I like for a fairly good price. I'm wondering, though, what is compatibility like for these? I have an hp pavillion right now and it was a beast to get working- barely anything worked out of the box. I don't mind tinkering, in fact, I enjoy it... but there are some parts of my computer I have yet to get working after six months and that's not very enjoyable.

I'm particularly interested in whether the wireless card works well; HP seems to like broadcom cards and those damn things are nothing but trouble. I was lucky that a replacement driver was easily available for mine, but I've read broadcom horror stories and I would rather avoid that if at all possible.

Anyone have one of these laptops?

ron66
May 7th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I have a dv6t-1000. My laptop has an Intel 64-bit CPU and wireless. Sometime last year I installed Ubuntu ( 8.04 I believe) shortly after purchase. Video, sound and wireless worked immediately. Every thing was fine.

I've since upgraded to Jaunty, and have had a couple of sticky points. A simple change (available in the forums) to alsa-base.conf fixed a no sound problem. Currently, my laptop occasionally freezes with the cursed "blinking caps-lock" bug. Other users seem to have experienced it, and I'm confident that a solution is somewhere in the forums. I just haven't found it yet.

Wireless has not been an issue with Jaunty.

YMMV,

Sarai the Geek
May 7th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I have a dv6t-1000. My laptop has an Intel 64-bit CPU and wireless. Sometime last year I installed Ubuntu ( 8.04 I believe) shortly after purchase. Video, sound and wireless worked immediately. Every thing was fine.

I've since upgraded to Jaunty, and have had a couple of sticky points. A simple change (available in the forums) to alsa-base.conf fixed a no sound problem. Currently, my laptop occasionally freezes with the cursed "blinking caps-lock" bug. Other users seem to have experienced it, and I'm confident that a solution is somewhere in the forums. I just haven't found it yet.

Wireless has not been an issue with Jaunty.

YMMV,

Thank you! I think that, while I do so adore tinkering, I'm going to go with a Sys76 to head off at the pass any major compatibility issues. I do appreciate your comments though. :)

doas777
May 7th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I've been using it on a pair of DV9000 series laptops for a couple of years now (since fiesty) and for the most part it has worked straigh off. I have had at least one bizarre issue with each version (in gutsy I could not view VTTYs, in intrepid boot would stall unless I tapped the power quickly) but it's never been a deal breaking problem.