PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get the Eee PC Xandros distro?

King_Critter
April 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I just ordered an Eee PC 1000HE from Amazon yesterday. Unfortunately, it's preloaded with Windows. I want to put Asus's customized Xandros on it, but I can't find it for download anywhere -- even on Asus's website.

Anybody know if it's available somewhere? Or should I shoot Asus an Email?

billgoldberg
April 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I think it's a commercial distro.

Either way, it's a bad distro, you wouldn't like it anyway.

I can suggest eeebuntu. I use it myself, very good for the eeepc.

myusername
April 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM
they have the source on the website but idk how in the world you'd use it

King_Critter
April 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Either way, it's a bad distro, you wouldn't like it anyway.

I've heard similar sentiments from others, but I'd like to try it out myself anyways.

they have the source on the website but idk how in the world you'd use it

Yeah, I saw that, but I don't really feel like compiling an entire distro (and truth be told, I really don't know how I'd use it either). :P

wannadumpwindows
April 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Unless you really have you heart set on it, and you've used it before and that's why you want it, then get it if you can find it.

Otherwise, I'd go with eeebuntu or easy peasy. They are much more capable. The xandros that came with mine was horrible. Even pretty limited and extremely prone to breakage once you added the extra repos that are around.

It's been a while since I've ran xandros, so I'm sure things have gotten a lot better, but I'd still go with one of the others unless there's a specific reason you want xandros.

myusername
April 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
let me know if u find anything

King_Critter
April 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Well, I think I found it on the Pirate Bay. I say "I think" because it's called a "restore disc" rather then an install disc, but it is large enough that it's probably the right one. However, torrents don't work for me very well -- I have dial-up at home, and school and library computers both block torrent programs.

So, I can always wait for the Eee to arive, then download it while connected to some random wi-fi network... or I can just say "screw that" and go with some of the above suggestions.

In fact I just was looking at some screenshots of Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and that looks pretty sweet... so I think I will go with Eeebuntu.

Thanks for the help, everyone. ^_^

jml
April 7th, 2009, 08:44 PM
The custom Xandros distro is only meant for distribution with EeePC's that originally came with Linux preloaded. Having said that, you might try calling ASUS customer support and see if they will send/sell you a copy of the Xandros restore disc for your particular model if one is available.

The default user interface is an interesting change of pace from other linux distros, but I have to agree with the other comments. If you have any Linux experience you will quickly run into limitations. I did. The official ASUS/ Xandros repositories do not hold many additional applications. And ASUS does not seem too intent on posting security updates either. You can add other repositories such as the official Xandros repository, but since the EeePC version of Xandros has custom "Tweeks," applications from the official repository can cause breakage.

I have used Ubuntu, Easy Peasy and eeeBuntu on my 900HA (which also came with Windows preinstalled,) and I must say that eeeBuntu meets my needs the best, with Ubuntu a close second. Just my two cents worth.

Joe