PDA

View Full Version : Good, Sturdy Laptop?

daemon3
April 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I have a Sony VGN-SZ440 Although I do try to take good care of my laptop, I'm always rushing around and have a backpack to store my laptop because it's all in one place with everything else.

Therefore, the side components to my case are falling off.

Is there a good grab-and-go laptop that wall hold up to strain? Despite my disgust with Mac OS X :lolflag:, I was thinking about a Mac.

smartboyathome
April 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
An EeePC 1000 might work for you. The netbooks (especially solid state ones) are made to take a beating without breaking.

71CH
April 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Look at sig. Case closed.

daemon3
April 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I was looking at netbooks, but they seem to small. I like large laptop screens. :)

Stupendoussteve
April 7th, 2009, 06:24 PM

Agreed. I love my Thinkpad, and it takes a beating pretty well. It is not a toughbook, of course, but for normal day to day abuse it is very sturdy.

daemon3
April 7th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I've never heard of sig. Is there a store I can buy sig products?

lswest
April 7th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I've never heard of sig. Is there a store I can buy sig products?

I'm not sure if this was a joke or not, but he meant his signature, or the bit of text underneath his post (the Lenovo Thinkpad R61)

daemon3
April 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Okay. I see it. I don't think anyone's selling that laptop. I'm also looking for something $1,500 or less ($1,000 or less, if possible :) )

mips
April 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM
www.gd-itronix.com

Will kick a Toughbooks behind.

HermanAB
April 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Getac M230N:
http://www.getac.com

I accidentally dropped one on concrete out the back of my Jeep at the airport and it bounced - not even a scuff mark.

era86
April 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Thinkpad. You can order it online. Read its reviews and watch its torture test videos. Clearly one of the most sturdy laptops around. The T series is probably the best deal right now.

jml
April 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I agree on the ThinkPad. I have owned two of them, one I bought new direct from IBM, one I bought used from this vender:

http://www.usanotebook.com/index.php

Both were solidly built and gave me very reliable service. IBM no longer makes or sells laptop computers any longer, but Lenovo bought IBM's line. Lenovo now sells two distinct lines of laptops. Their ThinkPad line is the direct descendant of IBM's ThinkPad and from the reviews I have read, are just as sturdy as the ones made by IBM.

I have also owned an Apple PowerBook and a MacBook. Both were very solidly built, but getting Linux to run on them is a bit tricky especially getting the wireless cards to work. I personally have never been able to do that.

Joe

r1ch
April 7th, 2009, 09:59 PM

I have to agree here completely! (though you can't see the signature in the quote, everyone else seems to agree)

I managed to get a refurbished lenovo T61 , have managed to drop it (open and turned on) from the desk to the floor, it landed on it's end balanced by screen and base and there wasn't a scratch or any hint of damage to the hinges, working components or otherwise. Not that i'd advise dropping one to test it, but based on how sturdy this laptop is it would have to be a really good deal for me to get anything other than another similar model.

conundrumx
April 8th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Adding to the Thinkpad suggestions. I have owned two Dell inspirons, a T61p and two Macbooks. The Thinkpad was by far the toughest, and I felt like it could take the worse beating. Aluminum Macbook is second.

Sand & Mercury
April 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
The Thinkpad is indeed a very sturdy piece of hardware. It wouldn't surivive if you dropped it, but it feels very solid. In comparison my Asus F5 feels very creaky.