PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen resolution

Superdude_123
April 7th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I have two problems:

When I first get the screen to log in to the system, my resolution is way off, and I'd like to change it to 1024X768. How do I do this?

Also, under user Y, every time I log in, the screen resolution is off, how do I change it to be by default 1024x768 when the user doesn't have access to all rights on the system ?

nebileix
April 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM
pls indicate ur graphic card and post your xorg.0.log and dmesg in order for others to find out wats the problem.

webkris
April 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I don't know what your hardware setup is, but I found that I wasn't saving my xorg.conf file as root or with sudo.

What would happen to me is: I would run nvidia-settings from administration and set everything up. Get the resolution of both my monitors set, and then upon restart or log-off / log-on my resolution would go back to crap... What I needed to do is run nvidia-setting from a terminal with sudo.
Hope that helps.

- Kris

Ben_neB
April 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I had the same problem, and the solution was as webkris describes it. I was running 8.10 with the Nvidia 8600. I don't know what you've got, but that's the first thing I'd try.

andrea000
April 9th, 2009, 05:00 AM
sorry messed up

andrea000
April 9th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I had the same problem with 8.04 and the same card had to
use envyng (http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html) to fix mine.i dont know if this will help you but it
might.Saving xconfig as root may also be a solution.