PDA

View Full Version : New to ubuntu & linux - still need windows

semaj
January 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Hello, this is my first post (to any internet forum).

I have setup a dual boot computer with ubuntu and windows 98 SE. Getting Ubuntu to work was easy - thanks to Ubuntu team!

Have trawled the various sites re ubuntu and windows emulation, and looks like I should get Wine (mainly to run a CAD program called Datacad LT11). Unless someone can tell me a better way.

In the synaptic package manager there is a package called winesetuptk - am I supposed to do something with this to install wine?

Also, my dual-boot computer is really 2 hard drives - one with windows and one with Ubuntu. How do I get to see the windows hard-drive from Ubuntu and vice versa?

xmastree
January 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
How do I get to see the windows hard-drive from Ubuntu and vice versa?Well, to get ubuntu to see your Windows disk, look here (http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#automountfat).

Getting Windows to see your linux disk... I'm not sure if that's possible. :confused:
My advice wound be to create a FAT32 partition on it for data to be shared with Windows.

semaj
January 3rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Thankyou for pointing me in the the right direction on how to 'mount' the windows hard drive - it worked. I'm still getting used to linux terms, and where to find answers to questions. I will bookmark the unofficial guide to Ubuntu.

Lord Illidan
January 3rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
From Windows you can view ext2 and ext3 type Linux partitions. Check around on the net. ReiserFS, I am not so sure about, though.

bonzodog
January 3rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
It's also worth pointing out that there is some VERY good software for CAD in linux.
The client you use is not available for linux, but there are some good ones listed here: http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Graphics/CAD/index.shtml

TimelessRogue
January 3rd, 2006, 03:02 PM
There is a program that will allow you to explore linux file systems called, of all things, "explore2fs.exe" ... haven't got the reference handy, but do a quick search of the internet for that file name and you will find any number of sources.