PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install ubuntu

Freiberg
April 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I have not been able to install ubuntu on an Acer laptop currently running vista. I can give you more details if you tell me what details to give you. Thank you for your time.

upchucky
April 7th, 2009, 03:15 PM
has someone taken the install disk away from you? if so get another and try again when that person is not there.

all kidding aside, need to know details of what happens when you try to boot the live cd or do the install, but first boot the pc with the live cd, if that works then aside from any potential graphics issues it should work when installed.

if it installs and leaves you with a cursor and blank screen then it is usually just a graphics issue that can only be fixed when we know the machine specs.

Freiberg
April 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I tried multiple live cds. None of them, although burned from the same computer I am trying to install them on, has even been recognized. The exception to that is Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 3, which I had lying around for some odd reason. It showed me the screen where the first option is "Try Ubuntu without any changes to your computer", but when I selected that, it froze. I rebooted and, one at a time, selected every option on that screen, all of which froze.

My computer is an Acer Aspire 4730Z, and the processor an Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400, with a 32-bit operating system.

Freiberg
April 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Bump.

Anyone?

Therion
April 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
editing...

Craige4107
April 7th, 2009, 05:18 PM
A couple of questions:

Are you using a LiveCD or did you download the CD?

If you downloaded, did you verify the download using md5sum, and the current hash?

Lastly, my install kept hanging at the migration page. The only way I got around this was to click to abort the installation. I believe this was the tab button. When it asked if I wanted to continue with aborting the installation, it gave the choices of "yes" and "cancel". I chose to cancel the abort and the install went past the migration page. Every continued with no problem from that point. I hope this helps.

Freiberg
April 7th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I am using a downloaded CD, in all cases. I will try that workaround and tell you if it works or not.

Craige4107
April 7th, 2009, 05:22 PM
A couple of questions:

Are you using a LiveCD or did you download the CD?

If you downloaded, did you verify the download using md5sum, and the current hash?

Also, while burning the CD, I caused many errors simply by moving my laptop around during the burn process. I had to begin the burn, at the lowest speed, and not touch my laptop while it burned.....lol.

Lastly, my install kept hanging at the migration page. The only way I got around this was to click to abort the installation. I believe this was the tab button. When it asked if I wanted to continue with aborting the installation, it gave the choices of "yes" and "cancel". I chose to cancel the abort and the install went past the migration page. Every continued with no problem from that point. I hope this helps.

Craige4107
April 7th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Sorry about the second post. Lost part of my post and I didn't notice it. Good luck.