PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NDISwrapper + win drivers

tp-owner
April 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
OK sorry I have read LOADS of posts to do with this but no luck...

I have a ZOOM wireless dongle 4410B which I have read is supported however all the links to the list DO NOT WORK so I can't check.

I have found some windows drivers for it off a disc and I have found 2 .sys files. I have also downloaded the ndiswrapper file which is a .tar.gz which I extracted out to a file.

When I try multiple lines in the terminal it just says can't find Package :( I need help lol

(Note: I am on a thinkpad 600e which is running Ubuntu 8.10)

Ayuthia
April 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM
OK sorry I have read LOADS of posts to do with this but no luck...

I have a ZOOM wireless dongle 4410B which I have read is supported however all the links to the list DO NOT WORK so I can't check.

I have found some windows drivers for it off a disc and I have found 2 .sys files. I have also downloaded the ndiswrapper file which is a .tar.gz which I extracted out to a file.

When I try multiple lines in the terminal it just says can't find Package :( I need help lol

(Note: I am on a thinkpad 600e which is running Ubuntu 8.10)

You might first try using the liveCD to install ndiswrapper:

sudo apt-cdrom addAdd the liveCD when requested. Next:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

If you don't have the liveCD, you can try installing ndiswrapper by using the tar.gz file you downloaded. You need to go to the directory where you downloaded the ndiswrapper*.tar.gz file. You can then do the following:

tar -xvf ndiswrapper*.tar.gz
cd ndiswrapper*
makeIf there are no errors:

sudo make installand it should be installed.

If you do run into any error messages, just come back and let us know what the error message is displaying.

tp-owner
April 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks for that... I had the live CD and I now have the ndiswrapper installed. I will need to get this sys file installed now or something :S

Could you help me on what to put...

Ok I do not have an inf file :P do you have an upto date link?

tp-owner
April 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I have now got that installed using:

sudo ndiswrapper -i [filename].inf

I can't get interent and I cant seem to find and sort of indication that its worked...

Ayuthia
April 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM
In the Terminal try:

ndiswrapper -l
This will check and see if the driver is present. If this looks ok, you can then check to see if the ndiswrapper module is loaded:

lsmod|grep ndiswrapperIt it returns some information with ndiswrapper in it, then it is loaded.

Next you can check:

lshw -C networkThis will help us see if ndiswrapper is being used for your wireless card.

If all those things look right, you can also check:

dmesg|grep ndiswrapperThis will help see if any error messages show up when it tries to use ndiswrapper.

tp-owner
April 7th, 2009, 10:39 PM
When I tried:

lshw -C network

I got:

description: ethernet interface
Physical ID: 2
Logical name: Pan0
serial: 52:a0:17:91:70:d0
Capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: Broadcast=yes driver=bridge diversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

Then I tried:

dmesg|grep ndiswrapper

From this I got a big page however 3 lines were of interest:

(load_sys_files:206): Couldn't prepare driver 'drivername'
(Load_wrap_driver:108):couldn't load driver 'drivername'; check system log for messsages from 'loadndisdriver'
usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper

None of this makes sense to me... Thanks for the previous help as well :D