PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] On maximixe the top of the window disappear

karimone
April 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Hi all. I use ubuntu 9.04 on my dell mini inspiron, but I don't know why, is 2 days that when I maximixe a window the result is an enlarged window whitout the top border where I can read the window title and where are the 3 buttons minimize - enlarge - close.

Is there a setup that I miss?

Thanks

Ratscallion
April 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hi there. Are you using the compiz compositing manager? (Have Compiz Config Settings Manager installed, or System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects on Normal +?) If so, then there's a setting in there that you should be able to use to edit this option. Seeing as I'm not using Ubuntu right now (sound problems) I'll have to think about it off the top of my head.

In the Wobbly Windows plug-in, or something to do with the window settings (in ccsm), there should be something about Windows being 'trapped' or 'limited' meaning, something along the lines of them being stopped by 'obstacles' such as the panels. You'll have to look around for it, but I'm sure it's in there! Using this, you can have the option to move your windows underneath any of the panels, and your problem may occur when you maximise it.

If this solution doesn't work, try changing some of the settings of the panels themselves (right click on blank space of the panel, then go to Properties).

If neither of these work, then use the Opacity compiz plug-in, and default key combination (alt+scroll) to toggle the value of opacity a window/panel/object has. Just hover your mouse over the selected object, and use the key combination. You should then be able to just use this to view the title bar of the window.

If none of these work, go ahead and right click on the window in the taskbar, and click restore/unmaximize.
Good Luck!

karimone
April 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hi there. Are you using the compiz compositing manager?
No. I don't use any effects!

In the Wobbly Windows plug-in, or something to do with the window settings (in ccsm)

I found something in the preferences about the windows but the only preference is the action of the title bar.

If this solution doesn't work, try changing some of the settings of the panels themselves (right click on blank space of the panel, then go to Properties).

Tried. But isn'there the solution

If none of these work, go ahead and right click on the window in the taskbar, and click restore/unmaximize.

At the moment I use this solution, but is really strange the behavior of the windows. When I maximise the top is really cutted of... :-|

monkeystar
April 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
F11 works wonders.

Ratscallion
April 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM
May I suggest installing Compiz Fusion? Even if you choose not to use it, you can still use it to manage your basic effects. This may help when it comes to sorting this problem out.

Therion
April 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Compiz is installed by default in the later versions of Ubuntu. If you don't already have it installed, open Synaptic, search on and install the CompisConfig-Settings-Manager. This will put a new tool in your System/Preferences menu with which you can 'tweak' Compiz.

Open CCSM and scroll down to the "Utilities" section.
Open the plugin for "Workarounds".
Clear the checkbox for "Legacy Fullscreen Support" and see if that solves the problem.

karimone
April 8th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks to all. I tried all your advices but the top border still disappear on the maximize.I also tried to create a new user and with the default settings the problems is still here.

I guess that my mistake was on the installation of the the ubuntu-netobook-remixe and the relative disinstallation. Guys, this thing is stressing me on this little netbook, I think that I'll reainstall Ubuntu today.

Thanks for your support.

Ratscallion
April 8th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I guess that my mistake was on the installation of the the ubuntu-netobook-remixe and the relative disinstallation. Guys, this thing is stressing me on this little netbook, I think that I'll reainstall Ubuntu today.

Thanks for your support.
Do add a reply on the thread informing us on how the reinstallation works! I hope it all sorts itself out for you! Seeing as you're on Jaunty, and it's still in Beta, may I suggest installing Intrepid and then upgrading via the updater? It's probably the safest way to do so!

karimone
April 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Reinstalled and configured everything from the Jaunty 9.04. Now everything works good and I installed just what I need. In May, with the stable release, I'll try to experiment a little bit.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Ratscallion
April 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Glad to hear it's all working, remember, if anything does go wrong again, we're all here to help!

karimone
April 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM
That's why I use ubuntu... :D