PDA

View Full Version : SMS alert everytime you get an email in Gmail?

Beezleray
April 7th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hi
I came across this blog post (http://black-ops.co.uk/?p=7) about using php, twitter, and gmail to send a text of the email subject to your phone. I could set up everything for it to work but the problem would be I'd have to have my server running all the time.

I was wondering if there was a better way to do this? Or another way all together to get a text message of the email subject.

Thanks!

girishsasikumar
April 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I am no MS fanboy .......... but this is a feature that hotmail and windows live has and gmail does not. So I forward my filtered gmails to hotmail and hotmail sends me an sms..
Think google will fix it once google voice goes public .........

Beezleray
April 7th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I am no MS fanboy .......... but this is a feature that hotmail and windows live has and gmail does not. So I forward my filtered gmails to hotmail and hotmail sends me an sms..
Think google will fix it once google voice goes public .........

I usually stay away from MS so I didn't know about those features, thanks!

gyppo
September 16th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks! This is the last place I would expect to find a direction to MS, which in turn would have been the last place I'd have looked otherwise! And it works fine, to an extent.
Anyone know about Kannel? I assume it would be more customizable, and free (o2 charges me 20p per message received from Hotmail), but I think you might need a phone of your own if you can't use an SMS gateway (I don't think o2 uk provides one?)
I'd love some clarification...

secondstage
November 29th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I've just forwarded (Gmail->Settings->Forwarding and POP/IMAP) all of my email to my phone, using my service provider's Email to SMS gateway. This not only lets me know if I get a message, but also provides a very crude text version of the email. Please understand that if the email message is longer than 160 characters, then it will come to your phone as an MMS (which is often more costly than an SMS, please refer to your phone plan to check if you are paying for MMS's)

This site (http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-to-sms/gateway-list/) has a list of service providers, and their gateways.

For example, my service provider is T-Mobile, so I would setup gmail to forward all mail to 7707707700@tmomail.net (and no that isn't my real phone number).

Good Luck.

qalimas
November 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Does GMail feature rules?

How I have it setup:

Thunderbird with POP3 GMail.

Anytime I get an incoming message from xxxxxx, it is set to forward that message to xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com (my phone number).

That auto-texts my phone.

Google your carriers email extension, you'll find texting is a very easy thing to do via email.

secondstage
November 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by rules, but gmail does have this handy dandy thing called filters, which can be used to filter emails based on content, sender, recipient, and whether or not an attachment is attached. It is possible to filter emails, then forward only those select ones.

Filters are great for those annoying people in your life, who you don't care to listen to or read the emails they send you, so their emails are immediately dumped in the trash.

squilookle
November 29th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I have an Android phone: if I get an email it pops up in the Notification bar in the same way that text messages do.

secondstage
November 30th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I have an Android phone: if I get an email it pops up in the Notification bar in the same way that text messages do.
Lucky you. I'm too cheap to pay for internet on my Blackberry Curve 8320, so I find ways to send and receive emails using just SMS, and MMS with T-Mobile.

Grifulkin
November 30th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I just get gmail directly to my Blackberry Storm. Awesome.