PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where can I find the files I received thru Pidgin?

mvalviar
April 7th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Title says it all. Sorry can't find the answer in google.

twistedvision24
April 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Did you check your home directory? That's normally where files that you download from the internet end up unless otherwise specified.

mvalviar
April 7th, 2009, 08:01 AM
It ain't there.

gandaran
April 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
check in /home/'user'/.purple, pidgin configuration files are in this folder, downloaded ones should be there too.

mvalviar
April 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM
check in /home/'user'/.purple, pidgin configuration files are in this folder, downloaded ones should be there too.

It ain't in there too. =(

gandaran
April 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM
It ain't in there too. =(
what type of files did you download, I don't think you can download anything with pidgin at all!

the_doc
April 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I think that's correct, I certainly can't receive files from people using MS' IM client.

Therion
April 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM
what type of files did you download, I don't think you can download anything with pidgin at all!
I can certainly get file transfers from Yahoo! IM users who are on my Pidgin buddy-list. I use the "Autoaccept" plugin though, and used the plugin's configuration to change the default save location to my Home folder.

By default the save location for the auto-accept plugin shows it to be: /Home/"username"/.purple/autoaccept

So I would assume that without the plugin in effect, the save location would be .purple folder.

mobilediesel
April 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Pidgin asks where to put a downloaded file for me. Try going to the terminal and typing:
find / -name "filename"
Where "filename" is the file you downloaded. That should tell you where the file is.

mvalviar
April 7th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah its weird because I have the autoaccept plugin enabled too and it autoaccepts files from those in my buddy list and is set it to save it to my Desktop. I just asked my friend (he's on my buddy list) to send me a file and pidgin asked for a location to save it to (so much for autoaccept). But earlier another from my buddy list sent me a file it was auto accepted but I can't find the file anywhere. It's not in ~, desktop, .purple and nothing with find. It just disappeared.

Penguin Guy
April 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Pidgin asks where to put a downloaded file for me. Try going to the terminal and typing:
find / -name "filename"
Where "filename" is the file you downloaded. That should tell you where the file is.
Have you tried his suggestion?

Malalo
April 7th, 2009, 03:12 PM
if you remember the name (or part) of the file, you can always try :

locate "filename"

watch out for caps, it's sensitive.... so be gentle :p

Therion
April 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM
... another from my buddy list sent me a file it was auto accepted but I can't find the file anywhere. It's not in ~, desktop, .purple and nothing with find. It just disappeared.
If it was just a one-time thing I'd say file it under "S--t Happens" and get on with Life and you understand it. If the error is repeatable, then I'd look deeper.