PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] vista + ubuntu ... kubuntu too???

Zireth ZH
April 7th, 2009, 06:24 AM
currently i dual boot vista ultimate sp1and ubuntu at the same time... ubuntu's version is 8.04 lts i guess .. im kinda new at linux.. i wanted to know if i can like add kubuntu on my pc while having vista and ubuntu without removing any of those... thanks and sorry for my newbie question...

bubwitmaingay
April 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Try it. Some of the people in Ubuntuforums.org even run 3 to 4 distributions on their machines, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva in one machine (although these machines are really powerful and high-end). Just like installing Ubuntu within Vista, insert the Kubuntu installation disk and it will also install just the same (without removing the Ubuntu).

8)

Zireth ZH
April 7th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Try it. Some of the people in Ubuntuforums.org even run 3 to 4 distributions on their machines, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva in one machine (although these machines are really powerful and high-end). Just like installing Ubuntu within Vista, insert the Kubuntu installation disk and it will also install just the same (without removing the Ubuntu).

8)

My english is not that good.. " Just like installing Ubuntu within Vista, insert the Kubuntu installation disk and it will also install just the same (without removing the Ubuntu)."

did u mean i can install ubuntu and kubuntu on the same hard drive without making a new partition for kubuntu? my hard drives arent that big.. i got two 160 gbs hard drvies.. 160 for downloads etc .. the other one i made it 3 partitions .. 1 for vista 1 for installed program files (games etc) and 1 for ubuntu... can i installed at ubuntu's partition??? keeping both ubuntu and kubuntu? sorry for my ignorance.. i just dun wanna keep partitioning my hard drives into little partitions.. that kinda feels messy for me.. thanks alot

agent_fusion
April 7th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Why not just 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop' ? That will install of the components of kubuntu in your current ubuntu install (including changing your bootsplash). There's really no need to install kubuntu when you've already got a working base ubuntu install.

One of the first things I do is install xubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop, and fluxbox just so I have a full range of Desktop Environments and WMs to choose from depending on my needs/mood. For example, I love fluxbox when I've got a lot of high resource processes to run, but still want to be able to -use- my system, kde and gnome for all the eye candy, and xfce4 just because I've always liked it.

Zireth ZH
April 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Why not just 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop' ? That will install of the components of kubuntu in your current ubuntu install (including changing your bootsplash). There's really no need to install kubuntu when you've already got a working base ubuntu install.

One of the first things I do is install xubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop, and fluxbox just so I have a full range of Desktop Environments and WMs to choose from depending on my needs/mood. For example, I love fluxbox when I've got a lot of high resource processes to run, but still want to be able to -use- my system, kde and gnome for all the eye candy, and xfce4 just because I've always liked it.

Thanks for reply.. Lets see if I got it... U meant like skinning the whole OS to look like the OS u want... A good option ..

I want the whole OS though.. is it possible to do what i described?? thanks again for reply

bubwitmaingay
April 12th, 2009, 02:12 AM
My english is not that good.. " Just like installing Ubuntu within Vista, insert the Kubuntu installation disk and it will also install just the same (without removing the Ubuntu)."

did u mean i can install ubuntu and kubuntu on the same hard drive without making a new partition for kubuntu? my hard drives arent that big.. i got two 160 gbs hard drvies.. 160 for downloads etc .. the other one i made it 3 partitions .. 1 for vista 1 for installed program files (games etc) and 1 for ubuntu... can i installed at ubuntu's partition??? keeping both ubuntu and kubuntu? sorry for my ignorance.. i just dun wanna keep partitioning my hard drives into little partitions.. that kinda feels messy for me.. thanks alot

It will "eat" some of your disk space but will not partition it. Ubuntu will install within Vista or XP by a utility called Wubi. While running Vista or XP, insert the Ubuntu Live Disk and it will install as if it was another software in Windows. That simple, and you can install Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu without affecting any of them. Just search within this forum for Installation Guides (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation) or click this link (http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/) for a free download of the Ubuntu Guidebook. Hope that helps. 8)

Raptor Jesus
April 12th, 2009, 02:14 AM
ubuntu + kde = kubuntu