PDA

View Full Version : Spring Break

connorh123
April 7th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Hope everyone is enjoying their spring break, I know I am. I'm relaxing with my friends in Florida, having fun.

ninjapirate89
April 7th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I am relaxing in Florida too!! Only it's not my spring break...I live here.

lisati
April 7th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Being in the Southern Hemisphere and with a limmited budget I'm going to have to wait six months......

ninjapirate89
April 7th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Being in the Southern Hemisphere and with a limmited budget I'm going to have to wait six months......

I know this is waaaayyyy off topic but I've always wondered something. You know how when you flush a toilet in the southern hemisphere the water spins in the opposite direction of in the northern hemisphere? Well what if you live right on the equator? If anyone lives extremely close to the equator could you please answer this for me?

lisati
April 7th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I know this is waaaayyyy off topic but I've always wondered something. You know how when you flush a toilet in the southern hemisphere the water spins in the opposite direction of in the northern hemisphere? Well what if you live right on the equator? If anyone lives extremely close to the equator could you please answer this for me?

Good question. I think one episode of the Simpsons dealt with a related question.

zmjjmz
April 7th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Spring Break doesn't start for two weeks :(

gletob
April 7th, 2009, 04:48 AM

Well the twisting would have to do with the Coriolis effect but the effect is so small that it doesn't determine the direction in which the water drains. It's all in the design of the toilet. The Coriolis effect is caused by the earth spinning faster at different points. The farther north or south you get the smaller the Earth is in circumference. This affects thing like hurricanes because these are massive storms that last over days or weeks. A toilet flushing or a drain draining is so small and is done so quickly that the Coriolis effect plays no role.

BTW: I'm here in Virginia enjoying my spring break

ninjapirate89
April 7th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Well the twisting would have to do with the Coriolis effect but the effect is so small that it doesn't determine the direction in which the water drains. It's all in the design of the toilet. The Coriolis effect is caused by the earth spinning faster at different points. The farther north or south you get the smaller the Earth is in circumference. This affects thing like hurricanes because these are massive storms that last over days or weeks. A toilet flushing or a drain draining is so small and is done so quickly that the Coriolis effect plays no role.

So, from your explanation, it sounds as if toilets on the equator can flush either way depending on how the toilet is designed.

chucky chuckaluck
April 7th, 2009, 05:48 AM
i hope my liver makes it through the week.

Sinkingships7
April 7th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I am relaxing in Florida too!! Only it's not my spring break...I live here.

lmao

I'm on spring break too. However, I'm not in Florida -- I'm in Michigan. Where it just decided to snow storm 24 hours ago. In any case, I'm in my room, hacking. So all is good. ;)

toupeiro
April 7th, 2009, 05:59 AM

I understand that the flow of water and the design of a toilet bowl play an important part in this theory, but I contest that the Coriolis effect plays no role. My aunt lives three blocks up from Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro. Her sinks all twist in the opposite direction as the natural flow of water in any sink in my home in California... I say natural in that in both cases I can use my hands to reverse the direction of the flow of the twist, but if I do not interfere, then there is a difference. 4 different sinks in different parts of the world... I guess it still could be a coincidence. I'm certainly not a scientist, especially since I did this test at age 11...

sanemanmad
April 7th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Hmmm.... I'm not on Spring Break, but I live in Phoenix AZ, so it's always nice time to just relax :)

connorh123
April 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Glad to know everyone's having fun.