PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing (compiling?) the contents of .tar.gz files?

jamesclish
April 7th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Hi all!

I downloaded a theme for Ubuntu that came in a .tar.gz archive. I extracted the folder with no problems to my desktop. With a little bit of reading, I gather that I have to compile the contents of this folder?

I've tried lots of things, including cding to the directory and typing ./configure . (This seems to be the most common suggestion in the forums.) This just produces an error:

bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

Thanks in advance!

-James

batharoy
April 7th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Themes dont need compiling.
Open up Appearance Preferences
System>Preferences>Appearance

Then use the install button or Drag&Drop

oldos2er
April 7th, 2009, 02:31 AM
A theme shouldn't need to be compiled; to install it you would just drag and drop it (as a tar.gz) into the Theme tab of System, Preferences, Appearance.

If it's a theme engine, it's a different story. Can you tell us the name of the file, and where you downloaded it from?

snova
April 7th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I downloaded a theme for Ubuntu that came in a .tar.gz archive. I extracted the folder with no problems to my desktop. With a little bit of reading, I gather that I have to compile the contents of this folder?

Often, but not always. What are the contents of the archive?

Also, I believe that some archives can be dragged onto the Themes window to install, or try the Install button from Appearance Settings.

pissedoffdude
April 7th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Can you post a link to the theme you downloaded. Also, check the extracted files for .sh extensions. If you find something like autogen.sh, you should execute it by doing:
./autogen.sh
and then you'd run your normal
make
sudo make install

jamesclish
April 7th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Thanks guys. Just a drag and drop job.

Have a good day!

qwertyuiop96
April 7th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Go to system>pref>appearance>install>chose your file>install(ok). A box should come up asking if you would like to switch... hit yes. You are ready to explore the wonders of ubuntu themes!;)