PDA

View Full Version : Fashion Designers, hello.....

tazz4vr
April 7th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Okay, looking for anyone in the realm of Fashion Design that may be able to assist me, or at least point me in the right direction.

My daughter would like to design my wedding dress, however, as this can get expensive, I was hoping someone out in UF might have ideas or suggestions on how to go about getting this started, aside from the sketch.

If I am unable to have it made, my alternative is going into several stores to find the closest in comparison, but would like to try and have her creation made if at all possible. 8-[

chucky chuckaluck
April 7th, 2009, 12:41 AM
has your daughter ever designed anything before?

tazz4vr
April 7th, 2009, 12:48 AM
not outside of a sketch of a doll dress, however, the sketches of clothing that she has made are beyond words sometimes, very beautiful and detailed.

Her idea is to draw several pictures and then we narrow it down to one of a specific or a combination of several.

Normally this would not be something i'd leave into the hands of a 12 year old, but I have no reason to believe or be concerned that it's going to be anything less than beautiful.

chucky chuckaluck
April 7th, 2009, 01:03 AM
then hire a good seamstress to render one of her creations. if your daughter gets to watch the practical process of turning a drawing into an actual dress, it could be an "aha!" moment in her life.

tazz4vr
April 7th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I totally agree with you on the 'aha' moment. Although we support her in everything she does, fashion is a hobby for her, she wants to illustrate for children's books. But on the mom-side of things, I truly hope she see's her potential for design as well and does both.

What I am having a hard time deciding on is whether taking her design to a school to possibly have it done, or taking it to someone already seasoned in the creation department, or what other areas are available to me. This part of fashion is just not my cup of tea, so-to-speak. I am by heart a jeans/t-shirt person, not dresses, skirts or even sewing for that matter.

chucky chuckaluck
April 7th, 2009, 01:21 AM
What I am having a hard time deciding on is whether taking her design to a school to possibly have it done, or taking it to someone already seasoned in the creation department, or what other areas are available to me. This part of fashion is just not my cup of tea, so-to-speak. I am by heart a jeans/t-shirt person, not dresses, skirts or even sewing for that matter.

take it to a professional who teaches. they'll do a good job and be willing to put up with a newb and make it clear that showing your daughter how it all works is part of the gig.

tazz4vr
April 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM
A friend of a friend, etc.... suggested a school close by, but others have suggested your idea, so I am checking into both of these. As with your advice, I believe having her there for the whole creation is a great idea, one that if she is interested outside this dress, perhaps witnessing her creation come to life may be the start. I do have an appointment with a local seamstress tomorrow, so again, thank you for the input.