PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need to buy laptop. Recomendations?

i_8_tacos
April 7th, 2009, 12:21 AM
My desktop computer burned up today :mad: , so i decided to get a laptop. There is so many to choose from on ebay, that i don't know what to do. im looking to spend no more than $800. how do i know what is going to work good with ubuntu? I know i could buy one with linux already on it and not worry, but my wife can't use it so i will be dual booting.

Please help!

abn91c
April 7th, 2009, 12:37 AM
there's always the dell line-up, my wife has a Compaq CQ60-211DX laptop, the kubuntu 9.04live cd runs fine, got it at bestbuy for $399 about 3 weeks ago

i_8_tacos
April 7th, 2009, 12:45 AM
what do you mean dell line up. are they known for working good with linux? Also most of the new one come with vista. i think vista is crap really.... could i install xp on it or should i get one with xp. also what is 64 bit? i know the old desktop i used to have was 32 bit. what is it talking about?

abn91c
April 7th, 2009, 12:55 AM
what do you mean dell line up. are they known for working good with linux?
yes they sell ubuntu laptops, now im on a 4 yr old dell inpiron 1000, it runs kubuntu 8.10 great

dwaldrop
April 7th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I can personally recommend Lenovo. I have an older N100 and it runs Ubuntu perfectly. It came with Vista.... but it is feeling much better now! :D
Lenovo support has been first class. The N100 series is very reasonably priced and has served me very well.

-David

bbrij87
April 25th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I agree with all of them here but best would be you do research of your own as needs of every person are different and also reviews can be biased too!

Cope57
April 25th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I am surprised that you have not checked out what is the actual issue with the desktop. One component replacement could save you hundreds of dollars, instead of purchasing a new one.

Any one component failure can stop a PC from running. I am tempted to purchase your broken PC, and add a new $40 - $200 part to be running again.

Are you willing to sell the PC?

K_45
April 25th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Have you checked the thread date *cough, cough*?

Psykryph
April 25th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I am surprised that you have not checked out what is the actual issue with the desktop. One component replacement could save you hundreds of dollars, instead of purchasing a new one.

Any one component failure can stop a PC from running. I am tempted to purchase your broken PC, and add a new $40 - $200 part to be running again.

Are you willing to sell the PC?

People who have money to throw away usually do stuff like that.

lilifiz
April 25th, 2011, 09:55 AM
dell or acer would be the best choices, NVIDIA cards are better than ATI cards ( personal Experience )... the rest of specifications are almost the same for all todays laptops as the 4 GB RAM , 320 GB HDD and Dual Core processor are now considered as standards

realzippy
April 25th, 2011, 10:01 AM
NVIDIA cards are better than ATI cards

meanwhile NVIDIA cards are a no-go for laptops because of Optimus (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10304516#post10304516)...

...but we are necroposting anyway.

overdrank
April 25th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Thread closed. Spam post revived thread :)