View Full Version : [ubuntu] C++ complier worked, where do I find out why?

April 6th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I am very new and I would like if someone could point me in the direction of some reference material. I just entered the following line of code at the command prompt: sudo aptitude install build-essential

And for the first time in two days what I wanted to happen did happen--a C++ compiler was installed. I know it worked because I created and ran a "hello world" program. Both the source code with the .cpp extension and the executable program seem to be in the directory where I wanted them to be.

Now here is my question--where can I find out why it worked,and in particularly how I should be using the g++ compiler.

April 7th, 2009, 12:08 AM
That worked, because as you can see from the package information, build-essential requires g++ as a dependency:

I'm not a programmer, so I can't really tell you how to use it, but the man page would probably be a good first start
man g++

April 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I am new enough that telling me I should read the man page was helpful; thank you. Now I am just hoping for a recommendation for an online resource or a book I can buy that might be g++ specific.

April 7th, 2009, 01:24 AM