PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Linux, ATI Radeon 9250 video card question

0Hz
April 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Ok, so I'm just starting out with Linux (Ubuntu 8.10). The system I'm running it on has an ATI Radeon 9250 which I normally use to drive dual monitors in Windows. The monitors are an HP w1707 (native 1440 x 900) and a much crappier Sony secondary monitor that I run at 1024 x 768.

Right now the best I can manage in Ubuntu is 1024 x 768 on the HP monitor (with no secondary display). I'm not really all that concerned with using the secondary display, I just want to know if there is a way to set the main monitor to a higher resolution (like 1440 x 900).

I know that there are ATI Proprietary drivers available, but again, I'm a total Noob with Linux, so should I try the ATI drivers?

Is it difficult to set up the proprietary drivers?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

$elvis$
April 7th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Mate I have the same graphics card and all I can tell you is go and buy a new one...Today I'm getting myself a new one... Gonna burn this one with a torch... :D

OR:
You can try to build your own drivers:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Radeon_9200/9250_(RV280)_and_DVI
I didnt had any luck with that method...
Good luck anyway...
Cheers....

Therion
April 7th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I know that there are ATI Proprietary drivers available, but again, I'm a total Noob with Linux, so should I try the ATI drivers?
Absolutely!

To install them simply go to System/Administration/Hardware Drivers and look for a "Restricted Driver". Double-click to install it. That should be all there is to it. If you DON'T see a restricted driver available, post back and we can install the ATI Restricted Driver manually. You're certainly not going to get the most out of your card without the restricted driver in charge of things.

Cybie257
April 7th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Ok, so I'm just starting out with Linux (Ubuntu 8.10). The system I'm running it on has an ATI Radeon 9250 which I normally use to drive dual monitors in Windows. The monitors are an HP w1707 (native 1440 x 900) and a much crappier Sony secondary monitor that I run at 1024 x 768.

Right now the best I can manage in Ubuntu is 1024 x 768 on the HP monitor (with no secondary display). I'm not really all that concerned with using the secondary display, I just want to know if there is a way to set the main monitor to a higher resolution (like 1440 x 900).

Is it difficult to set up the proprietary drivers?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you have a 64-bit capable CPU, I would recommend trying Jaunty Beta 64-bit. Why? I have not had any better experience with my ATI video card with any other version of Linux/ATI Drivers til now. Since it's 64-bit, there doesn't seem to be any proprietary drivers (don't quote me, just not seeing them or looking for them yet).

I am not only able to easily change resolutions per screen like never before, but I can also turn of one screen on-the-fly (via display settings), with no need to restart X (GUI Desktop) or reboot. It just works.

I'm not sure about the 32-bit Jaunty as I went right to 64-bit and glad I did. There are so many improvements that I am noticing, that I will never go back to any version prior. :)

Since you are just starting out, you most likely don't have a lot of custom programs installed or data on your system. I seriously recommend you try it. At least try the LiveCD version and see how it works.

-Cybie

0Hz
April 26th, 2009, 11:57 PM
This thread is a little old now, but I thought I'd provide some follow-up information for the benefit of others with similar old-ish hardware. Thanks to those who provided advice, without it I would have been completely lost.

Unfortunately, after messing about and breaking/ reinstalling my system several times, I did not come up with a solution to getting better performance out of my video card. (Probably on account of me being a ham-fisted noob.)

However, having just eagerly installed a fresh copy of 9.04, I am happy to say that I have my video card pushing full native resolution (1440 x 900) to my main monitor. (I have not tried dual-screen large desktop settings yet.)

I cannot overstate the ease of getting my display settings right in Jackalope. My hat is off to the developers.

Here is a general description of my system:

Heavily modified HP Pavilion 734n

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
2GB DDR RAM (I can't remember the speed)
SoundBlaster Live! Value
ATI Radeon 9250
HP w1707 Monitor

gorg0th
August 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
0Hz,

Did you ever manage to see the dual screen working perfectly with this card?