PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade 8.10 -> 9.04 broke my terminal

willc0de4food
April 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM
so today i decided i wanted to upgrade my work computer running 8.10 to 9.04. i ran update-manager -d and let it do its thing and everything was fine and dandy. upon reboot, when trying to open gnome-terminal i got the error "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal". i tried booting a different kernel, but the error is persistent. upon trying to run xterm, nothing happens. when opening konsole, it just sits there, i never get a prompt. there's a cursor but i can't type anything. i'm running the 2.6.28-11 kernel and gnome 2.26.0
i tried reinstall the gnome-terminal package as well as libvte9 but that does nothing. the error remains. i also tried asking in the irc channel but got no response. googling didn't help either as everything that turned up either didn't apply or didn't work for fixing it. any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

willc0de4food
April 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/cant-start-a-terminal-200544/

i didn't read down far enough the first time i looked over that post, but i had the devpts problem (the line was missing from my fstab).
so adding the line
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 to my /etc/fstab file and doing a mount -a solved my problem.

scott29
May 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/cant-start-a-terminal-200544/

i didn't read down far enough the first time i looked over that post, but i had the devpts problem (the line was missing from my fstab).
so adding the line
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 to my /etc/fstab file and doing a mount -a solved my problem.

This fixes the issue, but you have to do a mount -a after each reboot. Is there a more "permanent" fix to this problem, or is an update in the works to fix this?

gpmiii
May 6th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Ok - so I have the same problem. I opened the file, added the line, but when trying to save, it states I don't have admin privileges to save.

parktownprawn
May 6th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Ok - so I have the same problem. I opened the file, added the line, but when trying to save, it states I don't have admin privileges to save.

try editing with admin privileges

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

scott29
May 6th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Is there any way to fix the Terminal issue in 9.04 that doesn't require a mount -a after each reboot?

I have had nothing but issues after upgrading, and I'm restarting frequently. Having to do a mount -a at every startup is a pain.

Thanks.

arnold.pietersen
May 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM
try editing with admin privileges

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

Just checking. How do you edit with admin privileges if you are not able to start the terminal to type the above command?

Thanks

parktownprawn
May 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Just checking. How do you edit with admin privileges if you are not able to start the terminal to type the above command?

Thanks

press alt+F2 and then type in the command

scott29
May 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Does anybody know when this is going to be fixed? This issue is a complete pain...

willc0de4food
May 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM
i agree, it is a pain.
having to do the mount command is annoying, but thats the only thing i know of to fix this problem :/
if anyone has any more suggestions they would be appreciated..

Hatuey
May 19th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Hello,

I had the same problem and I solved doing:

chkconfig mountdevsubfs.sh 1

in the /etc/init.d folder under root

From: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/360160

Good luck,

[]s,

Hatuey

v1nsai
May 21st, 2009, 03:49 AM
You can specify the system to run a command every startup by going to System->Preferences->Startup Applications (used to be Sessions) and adding a new command. You can just type in the command to be run at startup by typing 'sudo mount -a' in there, giving it a name, and clicking the checkbox next to it to make it run.

However, I solved by using a different solution in the bug report that someone linked earlier. It was recommended for people who have modified mountdevsubfs.sh (virtualbox was mentioned as a reason, thats why I tried this first). Just run

# sudo cp /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh.dpkg-dist /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

Reboot, and all was well for me.

There are a few different fixes mentioned in the bug report, I recommend reading it to find what specific holdup you may be experiencing.

jacontrerasv
November 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hi, I think this is my really first post to try to help, I'm new but I been reading and searching a lot. I was having problems whit VLC after upgrade to 9.10 and after fixing the VLC issue i got the infamous
*** VTE ***: Failed to load terminal capabilities from '/etc/termcap'

What I did to solve this was:
Reinstall:
libvte9 and the libvte-common as well as the gnome-terminal
System> Administration> Synaptic Package Manager

That fix my issue hope this helps.

*Linux converted* ;)

treaki
October 26th, 2010, 04:09 PM
thanks from me to!! i had the same problem after my harddisk get manny bad blocks

THX!!!