PDA

View Full Version : I'm planning on downloading every package in synaptic...

Peter_G
April 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM
any bets on how large the download will be? :)

stchman
April 6th, 2009, 09:40 PM

About 40GB if I had to guess.

swoll1980
April 6th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I hope you have a fast Internet connection.

joshdudeha
April 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
oh dear?

mips
April 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Just buy the DVDs, much cheaper.

blueshiftoverwatch
April 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Downloading or installing every package? Because not all of the packages can be installed at one time. Some are incompatible with others.

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Just buy the DVDs, much cheaper.

True.

But DVD's aren't updatable.

I think it's apt-mirror? or maybe apt-cache? I forget which, but you can use it to mirror the repo's at home, on a HDD (even a USB one) and update the mirror you have easily.

And it's about 40GB for the main repo's that Ubuntu comes with by default, around 60 if you have a few more, and up to around 200GB if you add repo's left right and centre.

MaxIBoy
April 6th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I think for Hardy it's 20 gigs, compressed. Uncompressed, it's probably double that. For Intrepid, it's probably also more.

MikeTheC
April 7th, 2009, 01:03 AM
@ OP:

And I'm planning on having a nice dinner over at Outback. I'll probably get a steak, bloomin' onion, maybe even an adult beverage. See you when I get back, I guess...

speedwell68
April 7th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Can I ask why?

dragos240
April 7th, 2009, 01:25 AM
You sir, are crazy. I hope you have enough space, because wierd things start happening with gnome when you have low space :-\"

Mehall
April 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
You sir, are crazy. I hope you have enough space, because wierd things start happening with gnome when you have low space :-\"

As everyone ahs said, you only need about 20/30GB or so.

safe side, over-estimate, you need no more than 60

wolfen69
April 7th, 2009, 02:18 AM
it's a wierd thing to do, not to mention the problems that will arise.

chris4585
April 7th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I think this is usless, and doesn't help anyone. Thats just me though.

dtoronto
April 7th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I think you're going to have compatibility issues.

chucky chuckaluck
April 7th, 2009, 02:33 AM
no matter how weird you're worried people think you are, there's always someone there to take the heat off you. thanks, pete.

MikeTheC
April 7th, 2009, 03:37 AM

*returns from a nice dinner at Outback*

Done yet?

Actually, I've heard of Gnome eating all the cheese in your house if you install more than about 63% of the available packages.

TBOL3
April 7th, 2009, 03:44 AM
So, I've actually been thinking about this. And Canonical should really sell a version of ubuntu for people that don't have an internet connection.

Ubuntu-Complete. Which has everything. It could come on ~10 DVDs, or ~2 blue rays (but I don't think their common enough yet).

Skorzen
April 7th, 2009, 03:50 AM
That is a weird thing to do, but if you want, go for it.

I really have no idea on how much software is on Ubuntu's repositories, but you can tell me/us in the end.

Good luck, specially with that 'package compatibility' thing.

MaxIBoy
April 7th, 2009, 03:53 AM
So, I've actually been thinking about this. And Canonical should really sell a version of ubuntu for people that don't have an internet connection.

Ubuntu-Complete. Which has everything. It could come on ~10 DVDs, or ~2 blue rays (but I don't think their common enough yet).Debian does that. Actually, the "full" system comes on 20 CDs worth of packages, so if you use Debian, you've probably been running an incomplete version. This is normal.

(Actually, Debian has started being distributed on a single Blu Ray, which is the first time Debian's fit on a single anything in years.)

pwnst*r
April 7th, 2009, 04:09 AM
best thread ever.

rudihawk
April 7th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Can I ask why?

Why do people climb mount everest?

Because its there!

If he wants to download every package in synaptic :) Let him!:lolflag:

dspari1
April 7th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Do you really need 1000 different text editors? :lolflag:

tgalati4
April 7th, 2009, 06:53 AM
The sad part is, it will probably work.

I would expect the machine to blow up.

Let us know how it feels to eat 200 hot dogs.

Peter_G
April 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
actually, I think I will wait till the day before the final release of jaunty comes out. Sorry!